Blast from the past: Duke women's soccer makes first national final

A cutout from the sports section of The Chronicle previewing Duke women's soccer's 1992 matchup against Hartford.

In honor of Duke’s Centennial, the Blue Zone’s Blast from the Past series highlights pivotal figures and events in Duke sports history. Next, we look back at the postseason aspirations of the 1992 women's soccer team:

In 1992, only five years into its establishment as a varsity program, Duke women’s soccer made history by making its first national final. On Nov. 21 of that year, the Blue Devils clinched their spot in the championship game with a dramatic 1-0 victory against Hartford, played on Chapel Hill’s Fetzer Field. But what looked to be an inspiring journey was cut short as they faced off against soccer powerhouse North Carolina, led by World Cup players Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly.

In its final matchup, Duke struck first  — a feat few teams managed against the Tar Heels in that era. However, North Carolina rallied back to overpower Duke, ultimately finishing the game with a 9-1 victory. The staggering loss left the Blue Devils hungry to prove themselves on the national stage.

Reflecting on the season, Duke’s head coach Bill Hempen recognized the team’s potential. 

"There is a difference with this team," Hempen told The Chronicle before the semifinal. "Previous teams were made up of girls who simply enjoyed playing soccer. These girls [in 1992] not only enjoy playing the game but have a desire to win as well." 

Key players such as freshman Missy Durham demonstrated this shift in intensity. Durham’s versatility allowed her to excel in different positions, while her performances on the field provided stability to Duke’s defense. Other key contributors included skillful forward Kelly Walbert and freshman midfielder Katherine Remy, who each brought energy and precision to the team. Together, this group proved that it could compete on a national level even as a young program.

Duke women’s soccer has come a long way since its first nationals appearance, competing in the NCAA quarterfinals eight times and making three trips to the College Cup over the past 11 years. Fast forward to 2024, and the team is now ranked No. 1 in the country. 

The rivalry with North Carolina still runs deep years later. This season, the Blue Devils scraped by with a 1-0 win against the Tar Heels at home, The teams will face off for the second time this season Thursday at North Carolina’s Dorrance Field (formerly Fetzer Field). The rematch will be Duke’s final game before ACC playoffs start on Nov. 3. 

With a top ranking and a roster full of raw talent, Duke women's soccer stands ready to compete at the highest levels, driven by the same spirit that first propelled it to greatness.

Share and discuss “Blast from the past: Duke women's soccer makes first national final” on social media.