Blue Devil of the Week: Andie Smith leads Duke women's golf to victory at Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational

Junior Andie Smith won her first-ever individual championship in the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational.

During the fall season, The Chronicle is polling its readers every week via its Sportswrap newsletter  to highlight one Blue Devil athlete’s outstanding performance. This week’s spotlight goes to Andie Smith of Duke women's golf:

While most students were enjoying their fall break, Duke women’s golf was hard at work down Tobacco Road at the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational. The Blue Devils claimed their 17th-ever team victory at the invitational in program history, and their first since 2017. 

The star of the weekend however, was junior Andie Smith, who won the individual title — the first-ever individual crown of her collegiate career.

The Hobe Sound, Fla., native earned her 5-stroke victory through patience and consistency. The third day of the invitational was played with a shotgun start — meaning all players tee off at the same time from different holes — making it difficult to gauge one’s ranking in the round.

“I really think staying patient out here was the key … really just taking one hole at a time and approaching this hole individually, separate from the rest, is the key to success out here and scoring well” Smith said.

Going into day three, Smith held the solo lead on the par-70 course, with a 4-under 66, combining to a 6-under 134 for her two day total and holding a 2-shot lead over the competition. By the middle of the round, Smith teetered between first and second, going back and forth for the lead with Tennessee's Bailey Davis. However, Smith stayed cool and collected birdies in three of her last four holes, securing both the individual and team crowns for Duke.

Smith’s standout performance was also the 13th individual victory for a Blue Devil at the Tar Heel Invitational, the last being in 2017. The wins were especially impressive as Duke opened the weekend with a rough start on day one, but Smith led the squad with determination and grace, setting an example for competing freshmen Anna Cañado Espinal and Carla De Troia.

“My freshman year, I struggled with self-belief and confidence and not knowing if I could perform up to the Duke standard.” Smith said. “… And if I could go back in time and tell my freshman self 'you can do it, you have the game, you have the mental strength and the perseverance' — being a role model for those three [freshmen] is really all I could ask for.” 

Smith and the rest of the team will travel to Wilmington, N.C., to close out the fall season next weekend at the Landfall Tradition.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil of the Week: Andie Smith leads Duke women's golf to victory at Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational” on social media.