Duke women's basketball player preview: Vanessa de Jesus

Returning guard Vanessa de Jesus will be a key piece off the bench for Duke this season.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, it's  time for the Blue Zone to break down the 2024-25 Duke women's basketball  roster. We previously looked at Jenessa Cotton, Jordan Wood, Louann Battiston, Riley Nelson, Arianna Roberson, Delaney Thomas and Emma Koabel. Next up is veteran guard Vanessa de Jesus:

Vanessa de Jesus

Year: Graduate

Height: 5-foot-8

Position: Guard

2022-23 stat line: 15.6 MPG, 5.0 PPG, 1.5 APG

Game breakdown: The graduate guard from Valencia, Calif., returns for the 2024-25 campaign after a knee injury sidelined her for the entirety of last season.

Playing in 32 of 33 games in her most recent healthy season, de Jesus is an anchoring presence on the court. Shooting 42.7% from the field and a crisp 89.2% from the foul line that year, she is reliable for baskets when it counts. With a 34.8% clip from 3-point territory, she isn’t afraid to let it fly from behind the arc either. Having started in only one game in the 2022-23 season, de Jesus is a vital addition to the bench with plentiful playing time, adding depth to the strong Duke roster.

Against ACC foe Clemson in the 2022-23 season, she put up an impressive 11 points in 18 minutes of playing time — the difference-maker in the Blue Devils’ 10-point victory. In the same season, she also matched a career-high 17 points against Richmond, adding a substantial cushion to Duke’s winning margin.

Role on the team: The graduate student — for her fourth season on the court at Duke and fifth season overall — will be a wise and guiding presence for the relatively young team. de Jesus is the only player to have been with the Blue Devils since head coach Kara Lawson’s appointment. With bounds of experience at Cameron Indoor Stadium and on the world stage representing the Philippines National Team, her value to the Blue Devils as a leader goes far beyond her physical talent. Look for her to be one of the most impactful players off the bench this year. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball player preview: Vanessa de Jesus” on social media.