Duke women's basketball player preview: Toby Fournier

Freshman forward Toby Fournier will make an immediate impact for the Blue Devils.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, it's time for the Blue Zone to break down the 2024-25 Duke women's basketball roster. We previously looked at Jenessa Cotton, Jordan Wood, Louann Battiston, Riley Nelson, Arianna Roberson, Delaney Thomas, Emma Koabel and Vanessa de Jesus. Next up is freshman forward Toby Fournier:

Toby Fournier

Year: Freshman

Height: 6-foot-2

Position: Forward

Last year’s stat line: N/A

Game breakdown: Toby Fournier is one of the most highly anticipated newcomers. Ranked No. 10 in ESPN’s 2024 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings, she arrives in Durham with exceptional athleticism and has already captured fans' attention. The freshman went viral after clips of her dunks highlighted her rare blend of size and explosiveness. 

But the five-star recruit’s skill set extends far beyond her dunking ability. Fournier showcased her all-around game at the July 2023 U19 Women’s Basketball World Cup. Averaging 16.1 points per game during the tournament, she leverages her vertical leap to attack the basket, finishing with powerful layups and highly publicized dunks. On the defensive end, Fournier shines in rebounding, having led the tournament with an average of 13.7 per game, while excelling in shot-blocking and forcing turnovers. This impressive combination of scoring and defensive expertise makes her a threat across the floor.

Role on the team: Fournier’s dynamic athleticism has the potential to make a significant impact at Duke. As the Blue Devils aim to uphold their strong defensive legacy while boosting their offensive attack, her well-rounded game and international experience could secure her a key role. Head coach Kara Lawson will most likely utilize Fournier’s skills as a starter, so expect to see her make a strong statement with dunks and versatility in her debut season.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball player preview: Toby Fournier” on social media.