Duke women's basketball player preview: Oluchi Okananwa

<p>Guard Oluchi Okananwa will provide some serious firepower off the bench for Duke.&nbsp;</p>

Guard Oluchi Okananwa will provide some serious firepower off the bench for Duke. 

With college basketball season right around the corner, it's time for the Blue Zone to break down the 2024-25 Duke women's basketball roster. We previously looked at Jenessa Cotton, Jordan Wood, Louann Battiston, Riley Nelson, Arianna Roberson, Delaney Thomas, Emma Koabel, Vanessa de Jesus, Toby Fournier, Ashlon Jackson and Jadyn Donovan. Next up is shifty sophomore Oluchi Okananwa:

Oluchi Okananwa

Year: Sophomore

Height: 5-foot-10

Position: Guard

Last year’s stat line: 9.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 1.3 SPG

Game breakdown: Of the four freshmen on the Duke team last year, Okananwa had arguably the biggest breakout performance. Though she never started a game for the Blue Devils, the 5-foot-10 Boston native provided a reliable, energetic presence off the bench for head coach Kara Lawson’s squad including in her season debut for Duke against Richmond in which she scored a career-high 22 points. Those efforts coming off the bench helped Okananwa earn the ACC Sixth Player of the Year award, making her the first Duke woman to earn the honor.

In addition to providing her team with energy off the bench, Okananwa also made a name for herself as a stalwart defender using her above-average wingspan to block defenders and aid a Duke team that held its opponents to an average of 57.9 points per game. Despite her relatively short stature, Okananwa led her team in rebounding and was third on the squad in steals, a testament to her dynamic defensive presence. The guard will look to build on her momentum from last year going into this season, continuing to perfect her shot as she settles into her second year under Lawson. 

Role on the team: Despite Okananwa’s breakout year for the Blue Devils last season, the starting point guard role will most likely once again go to junior Taina Mair. With a strong group of guards that returned every single member and added a healthy Vanessa de Jesus, look for Okananwa to once again serve as a burst of energy off the bench for Duke.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball player preview: Oluchi Okananwa” on social media.