Duke women's basketball 2024-25 player preview: Jenessa Cotton

Cotton will hope to make an impact in her freshman year.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, Blue Zone is here to break down the 2024-25 Duke women's basketball roster. Up first is freshman forward Jenessa Cotton: 

Jenessa Cotton

Year: Freshman

Height: 6-foot-2

Position: Forward

Last year’s stat line: N/A

Game breakdown: Jenessa Cotton, a freshman from Santa Ana, Calif., hopes to be a strong weapon in the Blue Devils’ arsenal this year. Hailing from one of the strongest high school basketball programs, Mater Dei High School, the forward has seen fierce competition that should help her transition to head coach Kara Lawson’s high-intensity program. Ahead of her senior year, Cotton was a driving force behind her Cal Sparks team’s championship victory at the Nike EYBL during the summer AAU circuit, showcasing her talent at the national level.  

Excelling near the basket and from mid-range, the newcomer brings a versatile skill set to Duke’s offensive attack. Standing at 6-foot-2, Cotton uses her size and agility to drive into post plays or finish short floaters, stretching defenders thin. Her jump shot is equally as effective, as she can effortlessly connect from the elbow, drain three-pointers from behind the arc, and take difficult mid-range shots. Given Cotton’s scoring abilities all over the court, defenders should find themselves scrambling to keep up or predict her next move. 

While Cotton shines offensively, her defensive prowess also deserves much attention. Highlighted by her shot-blocking ability, she shows no mercy for opponents attempts at the rim. With her height and sharp instincts, Cotton might also prove to be a formidable asset in challenging offensive plays in the paint. An ESPN top-100 recruit, the freshman’s all-around talent and competitive spirit could give her a significant role on both ends of the court for this eager Duke team. 

Role on the team: While Cotton brings a dynamic frontcourt presence and dominant defensive capabilities, she will have to compete for playing time against highly-ranked newcomer Toby Fournier. The Mater Dei product’s diverse shooting range and strong rim-protection could earn her a spot as a key role player for the Blue Devils, but she shouldn’t be expected to start or be one of the team’s stars in just her freshman year. However, given the team’s energy and coaching expertise, don’t be surprised if Cotton develops quickly and is given chances to shine in certain moments throughout the season. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2024-25 player preview: Jenessa Cotton ” on social media.