Duke women's basketball player preview: Ashlon Jackson

Guard Ashlon Jackson will likely be a key starter this season after a breakout campaign last year.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, it's  time for the Blue Zone to break down the 2024-25 Duke women's basketball  roster. We previously looked at Jenessa Cotton, Jordan Wood, Louann Battiston, Riley Nelson, Arianna Roberson, Delaney Thomas, Emma Koabel, Vanessa de Jesus and Toby Fournier. Next up is junior guard Ashlon Jackson:

Ashlon Jackson

Year: Junior

Height: 6-foot

Position: Guard

Last year’s stat line: 29.2 MPG, 9.2 PPG, 2.6 APG

Game breakdown: Jackson, a native of China, Texas, enters the season following a breakout 2023-24 campaign. The guard saw her playing time more than double as a result of the work she put in during the offseason, and her averages went up across the board. Jackson is a great offensive weapon, who is capable of driving to the paint and dishing the ball. Her best attribute, however, is her lights-out shooting. Last year Jackson was second on the team in 3-point percentage, and she led the team in total 3-pointers made with 55.

Although she may be known for her scoring, Jackson is also a reliable defender, averaging nearly a steal per game. The Texan will look to continue developing defensively this year, while maintaining her level of excellence on the offensive side of the ball.

Role on the team: Entering her third year at Duke, Jackson will play an absolutely critical role for head coach Kara Lawson’s Blue Devils this season. Her commanding presence both on the court and in the locker room are vital to Duke’s success. Fans should expect her to build on the high offensive standards she set for herself last year as she leads the Blue Devils towards taking the next step as a program in the 2024-25 season.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball player preview: Ashlon Jackson” on social media.