Duke leaders reflect on successes, obstacles for women in leadership at Women Leaders for a New Century panel

University leaders celebrated the history of women's leadership and reinforced a shared commitment to uplift future generations of women leaders at Duke and beyond during the Women Leaders for a New Century event. 

The Thursday event, part of the University’s Centennial celebrations and Duke’s Forever Learning Institute, and sponsored by Duke Women’s Impact Network, featured remarks from President Vincent Price and a panel of distinguished women leaders.

Price reflected on the University’s foundational commitment to gender equality, dating back to 1896 when Washington Duke pledged $100,000 to Trinity College to ensure women were placed “on an equal footing with men.” Such dedication led to the creation of the Mary Duke Building, the first dormitory at Duke to house women. 

He then highlighted Duke's past women leaders, including Alice Mary Baldwin, who served as the first dean of women at Trinity College and Nannerl Keohane, Duke’s first female president. Price noted that today, half of the University’s deans and 60% of his cabinet are women.

“I know talent when I see it, and as you'll learn from our panel tonight, they and other women are … carrying forward so many of the critical elements of our vision for this university to become even greater in our second century,” Price said. 

Experiences of women in leadership

The panel discussion began with remarks from Alexandra Zagbayou, Hart associate professor of the practice in the Sanford School of Public Policy. Reflecting on the challenging historical context of women in academic leadership, she noted that 29% of university presidents for R1 institutions are women.

Zagbayou also mentioned that among the 70 institutions within the Power Four conferences, only six athletic directors are women, including Duke’s Nina King. The disparity also extends to medical schools across the country, according to Zagbayou, in which only 27% of deans are women.

Last year, six out of eight Ivy League schools had female presidents, but now only three of these institutions have female presidents, she said.

The presidents of Yale University, Dartmouth University and Brown University are women, in  addition to Columbia University’s interim president.

Zagbayou also pointed out that Keohane is the only Duke president referred to by her first name, “Nan,” emphasizing the gender biases that still pervade in academic leadership.

Panelists also shared the personal experiences and influences that shaped their paths.

Mara Becker, professor of pediatrics and vice dean for faculty at the School of Medicine, reflected on her upbringing and the support she received from her parents, who told her: “Whatever you do, be the one who’s leading.” 

However, she acknowledged the struggle of balancing multiple roles outside of work, a reality many women face today.

Yakut Gazi, vice provost for learning innovation and digital education, also discussed expectations imposed on women, such as pressure to excel in both their career and other aspects of their lives.

King underscored the importance of mentorship in creating leadership opportunities for women. She specifically referenced former Director of Athletics Kevin White, who “placed a priority on creating opportunities for women and people of color.”

However, King added that the ongoing underrepresentation of women in leadership roles remains a barrier to progress.

Creating a supportive environment

The panelists also identified different personal practices for fostering an inclusive environment for women to flourish and lead, emphasizing the roles of allyship, sponsorship and mentorship. 

Specifically, Zagbayou introduced the concept of “gate openers,” individuals who actively invite others to join the conversation and participate in leadership opportunities, as opposed to focusing on “gatekeepers.”

Gazi reflected on her journey in predominantly male-dominated STEM fields and shared that her understanding of leadership evolved from trying to fit in with others to embracing her authentic self.

Toddi Steelman, vice president and vice provost for climate and sustainability, delved deeper into the complexities of leadership and differences in leading styles between men and women leaders.

“I do a lot of listening. I try to lead through empathy … I often feel a little bit of envy for male leaders who lead in different ways, more highly directive ways, with louder voices sometimes,” she said. “I feel like there's a skill set there that is not available to me, that I wish I could selectively draw on at times, but if I do, you immediately get the backlash from that.”

Becker adopted the concept of “meta leadership” into her team, emphasizing the importance of self-awareness, situational awareness and the ability to influence “people above you, people below you, people on the same level [and] people beyond your sphere.” 

“Something that I think is my superpower is being able to publicly and very directly promote and propel people with very, very specific compliments,” she said. “That's such a simple thing that we can do every day. And I do think it makes a difference.” 

The role of advocacy and support 

Zagbayou paved the way for a deeper conversation on the complexities of leadership and potential “protections” women leaders may need to continue cultivating an inclusive and supportive environment.

Steelman expressed her “conflict[ing] feelings” about the idea of needing “protection,” calling it a “double-edged proposition.” 

“I don't want to have a need to be protected,” she said. “… it conveys some kind of weakness.”

Steelman reflected on how she had “been given enormous opportunities,” praising Price’s emphasis on women in leadership. However, she also recognized the reality of operating in a world where opportunities are not equally accessible.

King expressed similar praise for the support she receives from Price and the Board of Trustees, which she believes contrasts the environment at some peer institutions.

Becker reiterated the importance of sponsorship in supporting women’s careers.

“We need to have really intentional and focused programming and intentionality around women's career paths to ensure that they have the same support going through those critical periods of your career path,” she said. 

Rebecca Fan

Rebecca Fan is a Trinity sophomore and a staff reporter for the news department.

Share and discuss “Duke leaders reflect on successes, obstacles for women in leadership at Women Leaders for a New Century panel” on social media.