Harris, Trump campaigns close in on North Carolina ahead of Election Day

With Election Day just over a week away, both Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's and Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris’ campaigns have ramped up their efforts in North Carolina, as they vie for the battleground state's 16 Electoral College votes.

As of Sunday, the 538 polling average shows that Trump leads the state by 1.3 points. This gap marks an increase from Sept. 30 figures showing just a 0.1 point gap between the two candidates.

Harris’ campaign efforts in the state featured visits from Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff and Harris’ sister Maya Harris Tuesday, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz Thursday as well as former President Barack Obama and First Lady Jill Biden Friday. Trump and Ohio Sen. JD Vance visited the state on behalf of the Trump campaign.

Harris campaign

Days after data revealed record early voting turnout in the Tar Heel state, Emhoff and Maya Harris made multiple stops in central North Carolina Oct. 22.

In Wake County, the pair held a canvassing event at “Courageous Acres” Farm, where they turned owner Senah Andrews’ garage into a campaign workshop, where volunteers created buttons, flyers and maps for door-to-door canvassing.  

That evening, Emhoff and Maya Harris held a campaign event near the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s campus to mobilize young voters.

“I’ve been bragging about [North Carolinian voters] those last couple days because of the early voting turnout, setting records in North Carolina,” Emhoff said. 

On Thursday, Walz began his day at Duke, where he hosted a GOTV event in the Bryan Center and encouraged students to vote blue for the country’s future. 

He then traveled to Greenville for an event at the Pitt County Democratic Headquarters, where he similarly emphasized North Carolina’s role in the election in shaping the future of the country.

"The next 12 days are going to set the course of this country for generations to come," Walz said.

Walz ended the night with a campaign rally in Wilmington alongside musician James Taylor, who played multiple songs including “Carolina in My Mind,” aligning with the vice presidential nominee’s speech about voter engagement among North Carolina voters.

Walz also spoke on hot-button issues including reproductive rights, the economy and gun violence.

Ahead of Taylor’s performance, Walz spoke to veterans at local Wilmington restaurant Winnie’s Tavern.

Obama spoke at the Charlotte Convention Center Friday, similarly speaking on the importance of mobilizing voters and urging North Carolinians to vote for Harris and Democratic candidates down the ballot.

“Whether this election is making you feel scared or hopeful or frustrated or anything in between, do not sit back and hope for the best,” he said. “Get off your couch and vote.”

Obama was the last Democratic presidential nominee to win the battleground state’s Electoral College votes in 2008. In 10 out of the past 11 presidential elections, the Republican nominee has won North Carolina.

Biden visited the state Friday where she volunteered at the Global Charity World Central Kitchen — which works to provide food and relief to those communities that have been affected by natural disasters  — and assess damage to the western part of North Carolina caused by Hurricane Helene. Biden was joined by N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper at the GCWCK.

She then stopped at the Veterans Restoration Quarters in Asheville, which provides housing and other services for unhoused veterans, where she praised the efforts of Team Rubicon workers in helping support fellow veterans.

Harris will return to Raleigh this coming Wednesday.

Trump campaign

The Trump campaign also scheduled three stops across North Carolina this past week.

The Republican presidential nominee visited Asheville and neighboring areas devastated by Hurricane Helene Oct. 21. There, he bashed Joe Biden’s administration’s hurricane relief efforts, claiming a lack of FEMA assistance to the area.

As of Friday, approximately $168.4 million in FEMA Individual Assistance funds have been distributed to western North Carolinians to aid recovery efforts.

"The power of nature. Nothing you can do about it, but you got to get a little bit better crew in to do a better job than has been done by the White House. It's been not good. Not good,” Trump said. “I'm here today in western North Carolina to express a simple message to the incredible people of the state, I'm with you, and the American people are with you all the way.”

Trump held a rally in Greenville at 3 p.m. later that day.

“If you want to end this disaster, go vote," Trump said to rally attendees, emphasizing the economy and immigration in his speech.

That evening, Trump held another rally in Concord, where he worked to appeal to his Christian voter base. The campaign partnered with evangelical faith leaders including Franklin Graham.

"You don't have a choice of sitting out this election because if Kamala Harris gets four more years, they're not going to leave Christians alone," Trump said.

The next day, Trump held a rally in Greensboro where he similarly attacked the Biden administration’s response to the hurricane response and criticized Cooper.

On Friday, Vance hosted a town hall in Monroe, where he spoke on issues including immigration and housing.

Later that day, at a campaign event in Raeford, Vance accidentally praised N.C. Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, but quickly corrected himself, saying he intended to praise N.C. Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg instead.

“You guys have a great lieutenant governor, sorry, sorry, Mark isn’t here,” he said. “We’ve got Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, he’s not lieutenant governor.”

His statement follows a Sept. 23 remark, where Vance noted that it was up to Robinson to “make his case to the people of North Carolina.”

Michelle Voicu profile
Michelle Voicu | Associate News Editor

Michelle Voicu is a Trinity sophomore and an associate news editor for the news department. 

Share and discuss “Harris, Trump campaigns close in on North Carolina ahead of Election Day” on social media.