Duke updates HR policy to expand protections for minors

Duke recently updated its human resources manual to improve protections for minors who participate in University-held programs or activities. The changes went into effect Sept. 25.

The changes — part of the annual review process — included new language clarifying that the University cannot employ individuals younger than 18 as “general policy.” Though, it noted exceptions for minors between the ages of 16 and 18, who can be hired with the approval of the vice president of human resources or the appropriate designee. Any individual between 16 and 18 receiving payment from the University must receive approval from the Office of Human Resources and the director of youth protection.

“This policy and the recent updates reflect the importance of ensuring the safety and well-being of youth who participate in programs or work within Duke units,” wrote Antwan Lofton, vice president of human resources, in an Oct. 3 email to The Chronicle. 

Additionally, the policy encompassing protection for minors was renamed from the “Minors in Duke Programs” policy to the “Youth Protection at Duke University” policy. 

The name was changed “to better reflect the purpose and scope of the policy and be more consistent with language used through other higher education and youth-serving organizations,” Lofton wrote. 

The Youth Protection Policy is applicable to programs such as athletic and academic camps, student organizations whose activities work with minors and campus tours for minors. The new updates also now explicitly reference oversight regarding minor safety for virtual programming.

This policy does not apply to enrolled students who are younger than 18 and is explicitly for other non-student minors interacting with University programming.

Changes were also made to activity approval processes, compliance requests and the disciplinary actions for violations of the policy.

All programs involving minors must register with and receive approval from the Provost’s Office at least four weeks before the program begins, after obtaining recommendation from the relevant dean. Minors must also submit a written participation agreement signed by a parent or legal guardian before they can participate in any programming.

All adults interacting with minors are required to complete training on “inappropriate behavior with minors, sexual abuse and sexual harassment of minors, peer to peer abuse, behavioral signs that minor victims may exhibit, reporting procedures and other topics as appropriate.”

Those found to endanger minors may be dismissed from their job, suspended or expelled, and lose the authority to direct the associated program. The University may also choose to suspend or discontinue the program.

“Ultimately, our goal is to promote a culture of safety here at Duke,” Lofton wrote.

Share and discuss “Duke updates HR policy to expand protections for minors” on social media.