DSG senators announce first-year dinner equivalency at It’s Thyme, approve over $40,000 in SOFC funding

Duke Student Government announced that It’s Thyme will now accept first-year dinner equivalency, addressed the proposed STINF phaseout from the Arts & Sciences Council and approved $40,417.40 in student group funding requests during its Wednesday meeting.

Committee updates

Junior Alessandro Dal Bon, vice president of the academic affairs committee, announced that the committee has taken steps to address the proposed STINF phaseout in a manner which “not only takes into consideration faculty concerns, but also student concerns.”

First-year Clark Easley, a senator in the campus life committee, announced that the first-year dinner equivalency plan will be expanded to the West Campus dining location It’s Thyme and a fruit bar pilot project in Bryan Center Plaza. He also shared that health care vending machines will be installed on East Campus in the spring 2025 semester.

Sophomore Ben Greene, associate vice president of the Durham and community affairs committee, announced plans for a small and local business fair Nov. 21.

SOFC funding

Senators approved the following Student Organization Funding Committee funding requests:

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.: $4,100 funded in full for its “Nightmare on Campus Street” event, covering space rental costs.

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.: $1,050 out of its requested $1,771.17 to cover personnel for a video game tournament and barber event, with catering costs cut.

Hoof n Horn: $14,327.40 out of its requested $16,727.40 for its In the Heights Performance, with ticket fees cut.

DukeAFRICA: $3,350 out of its requested $4,000 to cover space rental and catering costs for a gala, with catering costs adjusted to fit SOFC’s allocation policy.

Duke Hindu Students Association: $6,000 out of its requested $6,500 for catering costs for a Diwali event, with catering costs adjusted to fit SOFC’s allocation policy.

Mi Gente: $6,500 out of requested $8,025 for space rental for the BAM (Black Student Alliance, Asian Student Association and Mi Gente) formal, with catering costs cut.

Duke Muslim Students Association: $2,150 of a requested $4,300 for 10 hour-long classes, which was funded in half due to SOFC’s policy on repeating events. MSA also received all of its requested $2,940 for a speaker event.

Jeremiah Fang profile
Jeremiah Fang

Jeremiah Fang is a Trinity junior and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Share and discuss “DSG senators announce first-year dinner equivalency at It’s Thyme, approve over $40,000 in SOFC funding” on social media.