Blue Devil of the Week: Margo O'Meara shatters pool record in opening meet

Senior diver Margo O'Meara begins her season having clinched a pool record.

During the fall season, The Chronicle is polling its readers every week via its Sportswrap newsletter  to highlight one Blue Devil athlete’s outstanding performance. This week’s spotlight goes to Margo O’Meara of Duke women's diving:

In the Blue Devils’ home opener last weekend, senior diver Margo O’Meara stepped onto the 3-meter-high diving board. 

The St. Louis, Mo., native leaped into the air and made a bit of history. The two-time first team All-American broke the previous pool record for the 3-meter dive, notching a monstrous score of 380.18. 

The previous record (377.85) was set by Abby Johnston in 2010, who went on to earn a silver medal in the women’s synchronized 3-meter springboard at the 2012 Olympics. Any time a current collegiate athlete can best an Olympic medalist in the prime of her athletic career, needless to say, they’re pretty good. 

O’Meara led Duke to a 165-135 victory against Virginia Tech and figures to lead her squad throughout the whole season. Last year, she finished in eighth place at the NCAA national championships on the 1-meter board, and she is looking to bring that success to the 3-meter this season.

Along with her success on the national stage, she brought home silver medals on both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards at the ACC championships and will undoubtedly look to capture the top spot this season.

After winning ACC Women’s Diver of the Week for this week’s performance, O’Meara and the Blue Devils host South Carolina in Taishoff Aquatic Center Friday at 4 p.m.  

Share and discuss “Blue Devil of the Week: Margo O'Meara shatters pool record in opening meet” on social media.