Duke rowing debuts 2024-25 season at High Point Autumn Rowing Festival, wins 5 medals

Duke rowing kicked off the Adrian Spracklen era in High Point this weekend.

It was a regatta full of firsts for the Blue Devils: The first race of the season, the first time competing under new head coach Adrian Spracklen and the first opportunity to showcase the 2024-25 crew. At the High Point Autumn Rowing Festival, Duke wasn’t focused on a single boat, but highlighted its teamwork. 

The Rowing Festival brought teams from around the globe, including the Ukrainian national team, Oxford, Old Dominion and the hosts, High Point. Together, the Blue Devils clinched one gold, two silver and two bronze medals across their four varsity eight boats, setting a tone for a season filled with competition and victory. 

“It was a great experience … I think we met our expectations and everybody really did what we set out to do, and that was to compete, to have fun and to show what we've been doing since I got here,” Spraklen said. “Everybody competed hard. They competed right to the end. They rode technically.”

Duke kicked off the morning with four boats in a fierce battle against Ukraine. The Blue Devils fought hard, staying close behind Ukraine’s stern, but came up just short at the finish line. In search of a gold medal in the afternoon, Duke entered its race against Oxford ambitious for victory. 

The Blue Devils’ A boat — consisting of Audrey Kline, Elizabeth May, Noelle Fuchs, Florine Lijesen, Lena Mills, Erin Temple, Samantha Schalk, Justine Medveckus and Eliza Straayer — completed an impressive race with a time of 10:40, beating out the fourth-place Oxford crew by 48 seconds. Boats B and C followed close behind, clinching second and third place. 

“The future is what we can do as a team, and not what we do as individuals,” Spracklen said. “No one didn't do what was asked of them, and everyone did it to the best of their ability, and that was, for me, the most encouraging thing.”

Duke concluded an exciting day at the regatta with the Dash for the Dr. Lenny Peters Cup in the afternoon session, competing against six boats from Ukraine, Old Dominion, Oxford and High Point. Falling behind Ukraine once again, the Blue Devils’ A and B boats earned bronze and silver medals, respectively, to bring back to campus after a day full of competition. 

As the team went home with its medals, Spracklen returned from his debut competition proud of the team.

"I've adopted a family here. I was very proud to lead Duke to his first competition with me,” Spracklen said. “I feel very supported; I feel very encouraged and I feel valued and so it feels very at home … I feel like I’m a part of something that's obviously far greater and bigger than me.”

Within his "family" of a team, Spracklen recognizes a group that is coachable and driven to succeed. As the Blue Devils look ahead to the rest of their season, Spracklen is optimistic about harnessing this potential for success. 

“We're ambassadors of Duke. We're going to be the pinnacle of class and professionalism and we're going to show how you can work hard and have fun,” Spracklen said. 

He employs a dual approach, focusing on both technical and mental changes to prepare his athletes not only to advance in competition but also to thrive as students and individuals. Spracklen wants to “continue to push them, but to treat them as people, first and foremost. They're human beings, they're not machines.”

The Blue Devil rowers will return Nov. 3 for the Princeton Chase. Having dipped its toes in the water, Duke is preparing for a season of competition, opportunity and transformation.

Share and discuss “Duke rowing debuts 2024-25 season at High Point Autumn Rowing Festival, wins 5 medals” on social media.