Duke in the pros: Williamson, Tatum show promise in preseason

Zion Williamson, who played at Duke in the 2018-19 season, made solid contributions in the New Orleans Pelicans' preseason opener.

With fall sports well underway, several Blue Devil alumni are hard at work in the professional leagues. The Blue Zone examines some former Duke players performing at the highest levels of the pro game: 

Zion Williamson

Williamson, the first overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft, made a significant impact in the New Orleans Pelicans' Oct. 7 preseason debut against the Orlando Magic. The Pelicans edged out a narrow victory, defeating the Magic 106-104, thanks in large part to Williamson’s explosive scoring and athleticism. In the opener, he showcased his skills, contributing 16 points, eight rebounds and three assists.

Despite battling injuries during his time as a Blue Devil and throughout his NBA career, Williamson has recently found a rhythm, appearing in 70 games last season while averaging 22.9 points per game. The Pelicans, who set a franchise record with 49 wins last season, are looking to build on that success this year. With Williamson’s versatility and dynamic playmaking at the forefront, the team is banking on his ability to elevate their performance as they aim for a deeper playoff run.

Caitlin Cosme

Saturday, Oct. 5, Duke alumna Caitlin Cosme delivered an impressive defensive performance in the FC Nantes women's soccer match against FC Guingamp. Cosme consistently positioned herself well, allowing her to intercept passes and disrupt Guingamp's offensive flow. Her awareness of the game helped her read plays before they developed. The former Blue Devil also showcased her ability to make clean tackles, winning key challenges without conceding fouls. Her aggressive yet controlled approach allowed her to keep Guingamp's forwards at bay. Cosme’s presence helped maintain defensive solidity throughout the game, eventually leading Nantes to a 1-0 victory. 

Jayson Tatum

In an Oct. 4 Abu Dhabi preseason matchup, the Boston Celtics picked right back up where they left off. Duke alumnus Jayson Tatum led the defending NBA champions to a hard-fought 107-103 victory against the Denver Nuggets. Tatum’s performance was nothing short of impressive, as he showcased his scoring prowess and all-around shooting abilities. 

In just 19 minutes, Tatum notched 12 points, six rebounds and five assists. While Tatum’s slump from the perimeter during the playoffs was notable, the former Blue Devil and shooting star had a much-improved deep shot. In addition to scoring, Tatum’s five assists showed he could create scoring opportunities for his teammates. His court vision and IQ allowed him to make timely passes, contributing to ball movement within the offense. Tatum's lone season at Duke was marked by a series of standout performances, and he continues to uphold this standard in the league while proving himself a valuable asset to the Celtics. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the pros: Williamson, Tatum show promise in preseason” on social media.