3 things to know before Countdown to Craziness

Head men's basketball coach Jon Scheyer stands in the student section during Countdown to Craziness.

Duke basketball is back, and with it comes anticipation. The Blue Devils have a storied history of success — and Duke fans have even greater expectations for this season, which starts Oct. 4 with Countdown to Craziness. 

The famed kickoff event for Duke basketball consists of an entire day of school spirit. From entertainment and games on Krzyzewskiville to captivating videos and on-court contests, Countdown is the genesis of the Blue Devil basketball experience. After falling short to neighboring N.C. State in last year's Elite Eight matchup, Duke's men's team is more motivated than ever to claim the 2025 NCAA Championship. ESPN’s Way-Too-Early-25 lands the Blue Devils at No. 8, but Countdown will offer the first real glimpse of their potential. The women bowed out of March Madness in their Sweet Sixteen matchup against UConn, but will certainly look to advance farther this season.

Here are some expected highlights and tips to prepare for Duke’s premier preseason basketball event, the annual Blue-White scrimmage.

Attendance cannot be assumed 

In typical Blue Devil basketball fashion, the walk-up line starts promptly at 7 a.m — but although K-Ville is typically proud of its first-come, first-serve approach, it has instituted a lottery system this year for fans arriving before 9 a.m. Groups can register at the Hall of Fame with Line Monitors before this time but will receive their random line placement later on.

Those arriving between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. should make their way to Clocktower Quad, where they will be placed in line behind the lottery entrants. Admission is not guaranteed to Countdown, as the student section may reach capacity. Getting in line early will offer the best chance at a front-row seat. 

Top talent

Duke's reputation for attracting top talent remains unchallenged, and Countdown to Craziness will be the first chance this year to see the Blue Devils in action. The 2024 recruiting class is particularly exciting, featuring several five-star prospects and top-ranked players — the most notable being Cooper Flagg. Countdown will be Flagg’s first opportunity to demonstrate his skills to the student body and prove his worth on the court. Khaman Maluach will also show off in Cameron for the first time after competing at the Olympics for South Sudan this summer, while Mason Gillis, Sion James, Maliq Brown and Cameron Sheffield will be donning blue and white on the court after joining Duke via the transfer portal.

On the women’s side, fans can look forward to first appearances by Toby Fournier, Jenessa Cotton, Arianna Roberson and Riley Nelson. Fournier is one of the most dynamic players in the 2024 class, balancing impressive dunks with relentless rebounding on the court. Meanwhile, Cotton will be someone to keep an eye on during the blue-white scrimmage for her elite jump shots. Finally, Nelson, a sophomore transfer from Maryland, will look to show off her high energy and shooting talent for the Blue Devils.

New faces

Not only will Duke basketball be showcasing current talent on Friday, but some of Jon Scheyer’s most prominent 2025 recruiting targets will be found behind the bench for this annual preseason showcase. The most notable face is four-star guard and Washington native Acaden Lewis, who recently called off a trip to the University of North Carolina to complete an official visit with the Blue Devils. A big win for the Duke recruiting staff, Countdown to Craziness serves as an opportunity to draw new and old fans into the Durham tradition and experience first-hand what being a Cameron Crazy is all about. 

Share and discuss “3 things to know before Countdown to Craziness” on social media.