Scouting the opponent: Georgia Tech's balanced and explosive rushing attack will challenge Duke's defense

<p>Cameron Bergeron pressures North Carolina quarterback Jacolby Criswell.&nbsp;</p>

Cameron Bergeron pressures North Carolina quarterback Jacolby Criswell. 

Duke football could not have scripted a better start to the Manny Diaz era. After opening the season with four straight victories, the Blue Devils mounted the second-largest comeback in program history to defeat the rival Tar Heels. The tandem of redshirt sophomore quarterback Maalik Murphy and graduate receiver Jordan Moore have regularly dismantled opposing secondaries, while the defensive unit has only surrendered more than 20 points on one occasion. However, Duke will need to maintain its focus in its preparation for a dangerous Georgia Tech squad. 

Although one of college football’s defining characteristics is its propensity for undisciplined play — particularly in ball protection — this year’s Yellow Jackets refuse to conform to that notion. Former Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King has tallied only one interception on the year, which remarkably accounts for half of the team’s total giveaways. Normally, such figures correlate to winning the turnover battle, but the Georgia Tech defense does not do its teammates many favors in that regard, as the unit has forced a measly two fumbles and zero interceptions. For a Blue Devil offense that has yet to record a turnover-free performance, Duke cannot gift its opponent with free possessions — especially given how smooth of a ship King operates. 

At the same time, this Blue Devil defense is coming off perhaps its strongest half of the season in which it completely stifled a previously-rolling Tar Heel offense. King has certainly had his fair share of high-level opponents — as recently as last week against then-No. 19 Louisville — but he needs to be careful against the hard-hitting, aggressive Duke defense. 

Equally key to the Blue Devil game plan is limiting a rushing attack that has exceeded 100 yards in four out of five contests and reached 190-plus yards on three of those occasions. What makes the Georgia Tech run style so potent is the diversity of its options: Junior running back Jamal Haynes leads the team in rushing attempts (58) and rushing yards (238), but King is a true dual-threat quarterback with 39 carries for 216 yards. To get an idea of the damage the ex-Aggie can do with his legs, take a look at this designed quarterback draw from last season. 

Following the two leading rushers, another three running backs split a workload of 46 total touches and account for 232 additional yards. Putting all of these offensive talents together, the Yellow Jackets operate an old-school, smashmouth offense with a ground game that has scored 15 of the team’s 22 touchdowns. Across Georgia Tech’s three wins, it averages a whopping 201.7 rushing yards, a number that halves in its losses. For the Blue Devils, the task of containing the Hayneses & Co. is perhaps most important. The good news? After a week of preparing for Omarion Hampton, the Duke defense should be well equipped for the job.

As for the Murphy-led offense, flexibility and in-game adjustments will be critical once again. In the first half against the Tar Heels, the Blue Devil offense had nothing going in the deep or intermediate passing game and ran the ball only nine times in their first six drives. Graduate running back Star Thomas, who walked all over Middle Tennessee to the tune of 111 rushing yards and two touchdowns, was not a highlighted part of the offensive game plan. Yet, something changed during halftime in the locker rooms of the Yoh Football Center. Following the break, Duke came roaring out the gates — recording touchdowns on three of its first four drives in the second half. In all three scoring drives, Thomas played a workhorse role as he ripped off multiple runs and receptions of 10-plus yards. The Yellow Jackets’ rushing defense was one of the worst in the country last year, but former Blue Devil defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci has improved the unit, which is now third in the ACC in rushing yards allowed. Check out a key goal-line stand from Georgia Tech, as it stuffed three straight rushing attempts against Georgia State. 

What should be noted here is that Diaz and the coaching staff recognized the ineffectiveness of the initial game script and made the necessary changes to give their players a chance. Immediate success is the furthest thing from a guarantee, especially against a group like the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech is substantially better than its 3-2 record belies and are the more battle-tested team. After a competitive loss in Louisville, it will look to right the ship, and spoiling one of the last undefeated records in the ACC would undoubtedly be a significant boost. Duke will require its most complete performance of the season in Atlanta in order to fend off these buzzing pests.

Share and discuss “Scouting the opponent: Georgia Tech's balanced and explosive rushing attack will challenge Duke's defense” on social media.