Extra point: Slow start, inability to capitalize define Duke football's overtime loss against SMU

The Duke defense shined, but the Blue Devils ultimately came up short against No. 22 SMU.

Duke football lost in an overtime heartbreaker Saturday night to SMU, and the Blue Zone is here with key takeaways, stats and a look ahead:

Three key takeaways

1. Defensive excellence

Although Duke came up just short in the end, the defense was on fire against SMU, forcing 6 turnovers and consistently putting the offense in a good position to succeed. On the very first possession of the game, the Mustangs fumbled the ball in the red zone, an indicator of things to come. Defensive end Ryan Smith recovered, saving the Blue Devils from giving up points on the opening drive. As the night went on, things did not improve for the SMU offense, and it continued to give the ball up in big moments. In the fourth quarter alone, the Mustangs registered three straight turnovers, each coming in their own half of the field. With less than two minutes remaining in the game, Duke linebacker Ozzie Nicholas recovered a fumble, returning it to the Mustangs’ 14-yard line. Not only did this huge stop put the Blue Devils in a fantastic position, but it also marked the sixth turnover in a game dominated by the Duke defense.

2. Shortcomings on special teams

While the defense shined, the field goal unit was completely dysfunctional at home against SMU. Down two scores and trying to mount a comeback, quarterback Maalik Murphy found the end zone to reduce the Mustang lead to eight points. The extra point would have helped close the gap, but kicker Todd Pelino’s effort was no good. In the fourth quarter with the game tied up, Pelino had a chance at redemption, but yet again his kick was off-target, preventing Duke from taking the lead. Finally, coming off the fumble recovered by Nicholas, the Blue Devils found themselves at the SMU 13-yard line, just needing a short field goal to win the game. They say that the third time's the charm, but that would not prove to be the case on this occasion. Pelino’s field goal was blocked as time expired, sending the game to overtime.

3. Another slow start

Against the Mustangs, the lackluster first-half offense put Duke in a position to fail right from the start. The Blue Devils have trailed at halftime in three of their last four matchups, a recipe for racking up losses. To make matters worse, all three of those games were close down the stretch, with two of them ultimately going the wrong way for head coach Manny Diaz and company. If Duke wants to get back to winning ways, its best bet is to start games off with greater intensity.

Three key stats

1. 0 Points off turnovers

While it is certainly impressive that the Blue Devils forced six turnovers, it is arguably more impressive that they were incapable of scoring points from any of them. Given that four of the turnovers put the Duke offense on the field in SMU territory, fans would have expected the offense to convert on at least one of those opportunities, but that was not the case. If the Blue Devils are going to avoid back-to-back losses for the first time this season, the offense will need to do a better job capitalizing on the opportunities the defense presents them with.

2. 211 Rushing yards allowed

Although the Duke defense did a great job forcing turnovers, it did allow more than 200 rushing yards for the second time this season. The Blue Devils lost on both occasions, a pattern they will look to avoid against Miami next week. If Duke can keep the Hurricanes from causing too much damage on the ground, it will have a significantly improved chance of forcing an upset on the road against the best team in the conference.

3. 295 Passing yards

One bright spot for the offense was a clear improvement in the pass game. Early this year, Maalik Murphy looked excellent, but once conference play began, there was a notable decline in his performances. Against SMU, Murphy looked like himself again, completing 27 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns. If the transfer quarterback can channel this level of play consistently to end out the season, the Blue Devils will have a chance to turn some heads and really make a name for themselves down the stretch.

Looking ahead

Looking to bounce back from its second loss, Duke will face No. 5 Miami on the road. This game will certainly be difficult, as the Blue Devils face their toughest opponent yet. Led by Heisman Trophy candidate Cam Ward, the Hurricanes are one of the best teams in the country. Although it will not be easy, it will be an exciting test for the Blue Devils, who are sure to be hungry coming off of a heartbreaking loss at home.

Share and discuss “Extra point: Slow start, inability to capitalize define Duke football's overtime loss against SMU” on social media.