No. 10 Duke field hockey shuts out No. 9 Boston College, earns 7th straight win

Duke field hockey huddles up during its game against Boston College.

All eyes have been on the Blue Devil defense this season. That was certainly true for fans at Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium Friday, who witnessed the addition of neon pink socks to the classic black uniforms. 

On Cancer Awareness night, No. 10 Duke competed in its fifth top-10 matchup of the season, securing a 1-0 win over No. 9 Boston College at home. With the Blue Devils’ defensive prowess emerging as a major storyline of the season, the Eagles’ explosive offense was sure to prove a considerable challenge. The first half featured back and forth between the two teams with limited offensive opportunities. However, an early second half goal by junior Alaina McVeigh cemented the victory for the Blue Devils. 

“We stayed consistent from the beginning to the end with our discipline, communication and work rate,” head coach Pam Bustin said. “I think it says a lot about our defense as a team, but also taking advantage of the opportunities that we have.”

Duke’s defense stayed true to its character throughout the entirety of the contest. On the backline, players were constantly intercepting passes and putting their bodies on the line to block shot opportunities. In the midfield, the Blue Devils (12-4, 6-1 in the ACC) applied strong pressure and stepped to the ball before the Eagles (11-4, 5-1) had a chance. 

These defensive efforts were something for Bustin’s squad to be proud of, but entering the second half still 0-0, finding the back of the net first was most important. 

With a strong end to the first half, Duke continued to build upon its momentum as it entered the second half. Early in the third quarter, senior Logan Clouser enjoyed a strong breakaway for the Blue Devils. Dribbling down the right side line, Clouser carried the ball all the way from the defensive half to the shooting circle before passing it off to McVeigh. Although McVeigh’s attempt was too high of the net, the Duke offense wasn’t ready to quit on the play. Clouser sent the ball to the net from the top of the shooting circle, and McVeigh redirected it in to put the Blue Devils on the scoresheet for the first time in the contest. 

A lead is just what Duke needed to allow the defense to lead the team through the rest of the game, as the Blue Devils are now a perfect 11-0 when scoring the first goal. With Clouser and McVeigh’s heroics, Duke continued its seven-game winning streak, during which it has outscored its opponents 18-0.  

“When you feel good and confident about what's behind you and what you're doing defensively, then you capitalize on that, the runs that you get and the opportunities that you have to attack,” Bustin said. 

The Blue Devils continued to apply high press throughout the game, stepping to the ball, swarming the Eagles’ offense and blocking shots. On offense, Duke took advantage of its opponent’s compactness in the middle of the field, connecting passes and beating defenders with runs up and down the sidelines.   

With the victory, the team earns its 11th shutout of the season, tying its previous record set by the 1986 Blue Devils. Central to the impressive achievement is goalie Frederique Wollaert. The Netherlands native holds the lowest goals against average in the nation, sitting at a commanding 0.28. 

The Blue Devils will end their regular season Nov. 1 with a home matchup against rival North Carolina. The reigning NCAA and ACC champions will be no easy task for Bustin’s squad. 

“It's the last game of the season. It's the next ACC conference game, and we're happy we have it at home,” Bustin said. “It's just going to be a great match.” 

Rivalries aside, plenty is on the line for both teams in this final game. Whoever comes out victorious should also claim the title of ACC regular-season champion. 

Share and discuss “No. 10 Duke field hockey shuts out No. 9 Boston College, earns 7th straight win” on social media.