Duke's Redick, Currie highlight 2024 Athletics Hall of Fame inductees

JJ Redick, Duke's all-time leading scorer, is part of the Athletics Hall of Fame 2025 class.

Duke is inducting nine members to its Athletics Hall of Fame Friday evening, marking the first additions since 2022. From Olympic medalists to those still writing their Blue Devil stories, this 2024 Hall of Fame class features true excellence in the athletic department. Here are the inductees, with a look at The Chronicle’s coverage during their times in Durham. 

Monique Currie

Currie, who played for Duke women’s basketball between 2001-06, brought remarkable success to the program. She is the first player in ACC history to record 2,000 points, 800 rebounds, 400 assists and 200 steals in a career. The Washington native led the Blue Devils to multiple Final Fours, and she earned a spot on the 2006 All-Final Four Team. In that tournament, the Blue Devils defeated UConn in overtime in the Elite Eight and dominated LSU en-route to a title appearance — where Currie scored double digits. While the Blue Devils lost to Maryland in the championship, it was the best result in team history. Currie was selected with the third pick in the 2006 WNBA draft by the Charlotte Sting, and she had a 14-year career in the league. 

A preview of Duke women's basketball's 2006 title game against Maryland, featuring Monique Currie. 

John and Matt Danowski

John Danowski has been the head coach for Duke men’s lacrosse for 18 years, making the team a national powerhouse. Under his tenure, the Blue Devils have won three national titles — in 2010, 2013 and 2014 — and have reached the NCAA tournament 16 times. He is the first coach in men’s lacrosse history to eclipse 400 wins, and he won the National Coach of the Year award following his 2010 title. His son, Matt Danowski, is another inductee this year. Matt has been an assistant for 12 years after playing for the Blue Devils between 2004-08. The three-time ACC Player of the Year was selected with the No. 2 pick in the 2008 Major League Lacrosse draft, kicking off a 11-year professional career.  

This 2008 team — coached by John and including Matt — compiled an 18-2 record and won the ACC championship.

Anna Grzebien Vanderlinde 

Grzebien Vanderlinde competed in the golden age for Duke women’s golf, leading the team to a whopping three consecutive NCAA championships between 2005-07. In 2005, she won the NCAA individual championship as well, shown in The Chronicle’s front page. Following a decorated career in which she won four All-American honors, two of which being first-team selections, she advanced to the professional ranks for her six-year LPGA career. 

Anna Grzebien Vanderlinde won the 2007 team and individual national championship.

Abby Johnston McGrath 

Johnston McGrath has recorded quite the career in the diving ranks, anchoring the Blue Devils to unprecedented heights. Her specialties were in the 1- and 3-meter dives, and she won the NCAA individual championship in the latter event. That 2011 title was the program’s first, and Johnston McGrath earned the ACC Diver of the Year award. Following her Blue Devil career, she represented Team USA at the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games in London and Rio de Janeiro, respectively. In London, she and Kelci Bryant won the silver medal in the 3-meter synchronized diving event. 

Abby Johnston after she won the 2011 individual championship.

Quinton McCracken

McCracken was a two-sport athlete with the Blue Devils, excelling in both football and baseball. On the diamond, he finished his time in Durham as Duke’s leader in a myriad of categories, from hits to walks to on-base percentage. He still stands as the program’s best in career stolen bases, with 98 total from 1988-92. In football, McCracken slotted in at cornerback and the team’s returning specialist, winning the 1989 ACC championship. He journeyed to the professional ranks in baseball, earning a 12-year MLB career with six different teams. 

Quinton McCraken in The Chronicle's 1990 print edition.

Chris Port 

McCracken and Port teamed up on that 1989 team, and Port anchored the Blue Devil offensive line. In his final year with the team, Port earned first-team All-American honors and was named the ACC’s top offensive lineman. The tackle was a big contributor to Duke’s high-powered offenses of the end of the 1980’s. He was drafted in the 12th round of the 1990 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints and had a five-year NFL career. 

A Chronicle feature on Chris Port’s journey as a Blue Devil.

JJ Redick 

Redick is one of the most iconic Duke men’s basketball players, epitomizing the identity of the program. As the program’s all-time leading scorer, Redick compiled 2,769 total points in his four years from 2002-06. He played under fellow Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski, and while he didn’t win a championship with the Blue Devils, he led the team to a Final Four and was named National Player of the Year in 2005 and 2006. Redick, a 3-point specialist, had a sustained career in the NBA and is widely regarded as one of the game’s greatest shooters. Redick is now in his first season as the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, hoping to lead Lebron James and Co. back to the NBA finals. 

JJ Redick slamming home the first dunk of his Blue Devil career.

Becca Ward

Ward was the staple of Duke fencing in her era, compiling a remarkable 272-7 individual record between 2009-12 with the Blue Devils. She won three NCAA individual championships in sabre fencing and was a four-time All-American selection. Prior to joining Duke, she remarkably won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics in both the team and individual sabre events. A graduate of the Sanford School of Public Policy, she now works for the U.S. Department of Energy. 

A Chronicle photo of Becca Ward from 2011.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke's Redick, Currie highlight 2024 Athletics Hall of Fame inductees ” on social media.