Controlled Chaos at Chaus: Advance Base and Moon Racer dazzle Duke’s hidden gem

<p>Courtesy of&nbsp;</p>

Courtesy of 

Tucked in its quaint corner on the outskirts of East Campus, away from the hustle and bustle of academic life, Duke Coffeehouse (Chaus) remains a go-to spot for independent artists and art-lovers alike. On Tuesday, Oct. 1, Coffeehouse welcomed two budding musicians to its stage: Advance Base and Moon Racer (Autumn Ehinger.) 

Durham-based artist Moon Racer opened the show, immediately entrancing the audience with her delicate lyricism and ethereal melodies. Coincidentally, the faint pattering of rain outside provided the perfect accompaniment to her lo-fi beats and gentle vocals. A haze of soft, violet and pink light bathed Moon Racer in an otherworldly glow during her performance, enhancing the dream-like atmosphere her music created. Looking around the room, it was abundantly clear that her music provided an escape to the crowd, who closed their eyes and swayed with the rhythms. 

The spiritual experience of Moon Racer’s music was followed by Advance Base, musician Owen Ashworth’s Chicago-based soft rock project. Unlike Moon Racer, Ashworth’s music was characterized by a tremendous, room-filling nostalgia. What stood out about his songs was the stark contrast between the warm, lo-fi melodies and the somewhat unsettling, dark lyricism, something the audience was warned about before the first song “Tooth Fairy.” 

Moon Racer’s music, utilizing the sounds of electric piano, samplers and drum machines, was gritty yet smooth. There was something hypnotic in how the piano's humming mixed with the soothing vocals of Ashworth. Delivering darkly poetic lyrics with a calm detachment, he cut through the dreamy instrumentals to tell the audience a vivid story while they calmly moved in unison with the beats. At times, the melodies were almost lullaby-like, but the stories they carried were anything but, creating a strange juxtaposition that was beautiful in its unease. It is safe to say that after the transcendental performances of both artists, the audience was left thoroughly fulfilled.

Advance Base was born Owen Ashworth’s desire to reinvent himself after wrapping his previous project, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. “I played my first shows as Advance Base in 2011, a year after ending my previous music project, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone,” he told the Chronicle via email. After thirteen years of touring and recording, Ashworth found that he no longer connected with the songs he had written in his early twenties. “By the time I hit my mid-thirties ... I just didn’t feel comfortable singing them in front of audiences anymore. I wanted the challenge of a fresh start with all new songs that felt like a more accurate representation of who I was at that point in my life.” This shift in identity led to a gentler sound, influenced more by folk, singer-songwriter and Americana music than the abrasive styles that shaped Casiotone. “The music I make these days is slower and more focused on my lyrical delivery. The songs are stories, and I want them to be understood easily,” he shared.

When discussing his favorite song at the moment, Ashworth pointed to “Tooth Fairy,” which will feature on his upcoming album. “It’s a short and simple song" and while "I don’t want to say too much about the lyrics because it hasn't been released yet," "its had a visceral reaction from audiences" when I perform it live, he noted. He appreciates how it connects directly with listeners, emphasizing that “communication is the purpose of my music.” He also enjoys the melody and the overall structure of the song, stating, “There’s an efficiency to it that feels really clean. I’m proud of the writing.”

Reflecting on his recent performance at Duke Coffeehouse, Ashworth expressed a fondness for the venue. “It feels casual and welcoming. I love playing all ages and alcohol-free shows; there’s a more intentional focus on the music and the community around it,” he said. The attentive audience during his last show with Moon Racer made it a special experience, providing a lovely way to end the tour. “It felt great that people came to listen and be together ... I look forward to the next time.”

After the show, both artists set up merchandise stands and sat to interact with listeners one-on-one. In an especially touching note, all proceeds from the sale were donated to help those affected by Hurricane Helene. What was all the more heartening was that Moon Racer’s merchandise sales functioned on a “Pay what you want” basis. Although visitors had the ability to lowball the artist when making a purchase, they nonetheless chose to give what they could to help the local community, reflecting the importance of music and its role in fostering meaningful human connection. 

Collectively, it was tremendously refreshing to see a microcosm of Duke students come together to support live music and a local venue. If you are interested in attending future shows at Duke Coffeehouse, they have a show scheduled Oct. 26 and plenty more to come in the future. Entrance is free for Duke students, as are snacks and drinks. If you are interested in delving deeper into these artists, Advance Base will be releasing his newest album this December. 

In addition to the music it provides, Coffeehouse by itself is something we should all be excited about. Whether it be to study, enjoy live performances or simply to catch up with some friends, Chaus is the place to be. Let its existence serve as a reminder that local art and music play just as vital of a role in campus life as do academics and athletics. We all have a collective responsibility to keep it alive and nourish its soul. William Shakespeare once said, “The object of Art is to give life shape”, and it is evident that Coffeehouse helps shape East Campus’s student life into a thriving community.

Share and discuss “Controlled Chaos at Chaus: Advance Base and Moon Racer dazzle Duke’s hidden gem” on social media.