'Bromances': platonic male love in Hollywood

Courtesy of GQ
Courtesy of GQ

With the Sept. 27 release of “Wolfs,” an action comedy film starring George Clooney and Brad Pitt, so-called Hollywood “bromances” have returned to the public eye. “Wolfs” centers on two “fixers,” people whose job it is to clean up others’ messes. Said fixers, played by Clooney and Pitt, end up having to work a job together, much to their chagrin. Although reviews for “Wolfs” have been largely mixed, critics have praised both actors for their charisma and dialogue delivery, as well as their chemistry

“Wolfs” is far from the first time Clooney and Pitt have collaborated; they have been friends for more than two decades and co-stars in a number of films, including the “Ocean’s” franchise. In interviews, they banter and joke about their friendship, including making sarcastic comments about filing restraining orders against each other.“bromances.”

From Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Patrick Stewart to Matt Damon and Ben Affleck to Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson, Hollywood has no shortage of well-known male celebrity friendships, with on- and off-screen chemistry. While bromances may not garner the same attention as Hollywood romances or feuds, they contribute to the public fascination with celebrity lives.

Occasionally, these real-life bromances play out in ways as unbelievable as stories on the big screen. The prime example of this is the friendship between musician Lenny Kravitz and actor Jason Momoa: The two became friends when Momoa began dating actress Lisa Bonet, Kravitz’s ex-wife. Momoa and Bonet married in 2017 and divorced earlier this year. 

This saga becomes more complicated since Momoa is also known to have a bromance for years with Channing Tatum. Last year, Tatum got engaged to Zoё Kravitz, daughter of Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet. Momoa even takes credit for the union, tightening the connections between bromances and romances.

Bromances have led to incredible on-screen chemistry between actors. Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth's tight-knit relationship off-screen helped create humorous and memorable banter throughout many films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The two were not allowed to do press events for “The Avengers” together because they rambled too far off topic.

Another Marvel-related bromance is between Tom Holland and Jake Gyllenhal, who bonded when Gyllenhal struggled with anxiety during takes for “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo starred together in the 2007 film “Zodiac” before reuniting in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, further solidifying their friendship. The two are so close that last year during an interview, Downey Jr. jokingly described Ruffalo as looking “pretty bangable.” 

More recently, the bromance between Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds has been in the limelight. Their friendship cemented in 2007 on the set of “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”. They often tease each other, especially this past summer as promotion for their film “Deadpool & Wolverine.” This viral rap where the two described their characters in the film was released on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and received over two million views on YouTube, on top of Instagram and TikTok shares. Their fast-paced, witty banter engages audiences and promotes their films outside of typical advertisements. 

Hollywood bromances have existed for decades, and they will not go away anytime soon. They boost realistic and entertaining on-screen chemistry, providing off-screen entertainment to those who enjoy following celebrity tabloids. Celebrity bromances humanize actors; they have the same friendships and relationships as regular people.

Share and discuss “'Bromances': platonic male love in Hollywood” on social media.