Blue Devil of the Week: Maggie Graham scores game-winner to lead Duke women's soccer against No. 2 North Carolina

Maggie Graham scored the lone goal for Duke in a 1-0 victory against North Carolina last week.

With fall sports thoroughly underway, The Chronicle is polling its readers every week via its Sportswrap newsletter to highlight one Blue Devil athlete’s outstanding performance. The inaugural spotlight goes to Duke women’s soccer’s Maggie Graham:

The Blue Devils’ first ever victory over North Carolina in Durham was decided by a single strike in the 45th minute of the rivalry showdown. With seconds remaining in the first half, a lob to the Tar Heel backline ricocheted off of players from both sides before landing at the feet of graduate midfielder Maggie Graham. She drove into the box and slotted one to the right of North Carolina’s goalkeeper to deliver the game-winner in the match’s 45th minute, and the second-ranked Tar Heels were delivered their first defeat of the season. The matchup’s lone goal represented Graham’s first against North Carolina in her fifth season playing for Duke. Later in the week, the midfielder’s assist also lifted the squad from Durham to a 5-0 win against East Tennessee State. 

“I’ve been wanting to score against [North Carolina] since I was a freshman,” Graham said. “And having it happen for my fifth year was awesome.”

The fifth-year player’s first victory against Duke’s rivals came in 2021 when a 55th-minute goal was enough to overtake the Tar Heels 1-0 in Chapel Hill. In Graham’s senior season, a last-minute effort by Blue Devil Kat Rader equalized the match against North Carolina and against all odds a 5-4-3 Duke squad ended its faceoff with the top-ranked Tar Heels in a draw. But it wasn’t until Graham’s first-half finish that the Blue Devils successfully took care of their rivals in Koskinen Stadium.

“It was about the team that was gonna be more composed,” said head coach Robbie Church on the rivalry matchup. “And Maggie was so composed to finish that opportunity and finish that opportunity well.”

During her time in Durham, Graham has tallied 11 goals and 11 assists in 85 games played. The goal against the Tar Heels served as her second goal this season after her second-half tap-in against UNC Wilmington. 

The Atlanta native committed to Duke ranked as a top-50 prospect in the nation and started in 10 games her first season. A product of The Westminster Schools, Graham made international appearances for the U16 and U18 USA teams before starting her first year at Duke. That year, she scored her only two goals for her freshman season in a match against Syracuse. Since then, Graham has played through several successful seasons as a Blue Devil, making the NCAA semifinals her sophomore and junior seasons. With her goal against North Carolina, the three-time All-ACC Academic Team member earned her fourth game-winner of her career. It’s safe to say it’s one she will never forget.

Up next, Graham looks to continue that form as the Blue Devils hit the road to take on Clemson.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil of the Week: Maggie Graham scores game-winner to lead Duke women's soccer against No. 2 North Carolina” on social media.