Duke volleyball surges to victory against Davidson, FIU after stumble to LSU in weekend series

<p>Rachel Richardson led the team in kills against FIU.&nbsp;</p>

Rachel Richardson led the team in kills against FIU. 

Five match points had come and gone.

The Blue Devils were up two sets to none against FIU, looking to end the weekend on a positive note. For the third time in the weekend series, the set would be decided by two points. In a final push, clenched jaws relaxed and then opened in jubilation in Cameron Indoor Stadium as Duke emerged triumphant 28-26.

After a win and two losses last weekend, the Blue Devils were looking to notch victories in three consecutive home matches. Following a tightly contested stumble against LSU 3-1 Thursday, Duke thumped its way to secure two victories against Davidson 3-1 Friday night and FIU 3-0 Saturday afternoon, with the offensive wall of Rachel Richardson, Kerry Keefe and Rylie Kadel — sporting matching pink hair ties — providing massive hits all weekend.

The series began Thursday evening against LSU in a match defined by closely contested sets. The teams split the first two sets after late-set ties. The Tigers won the third set by a wider margin, and the fourth set — like the first — went to a 23-23 tie before the Tigers clinched the match. Ultimately, it was four points in the first and fourth sets that decided it.

“We were right there to get those sets, and we just didn’t finish,” head coach Jolene Nagel said. “We learn from it, so that in the future, we put the gas pedal down whenever we’re at 20.”

The Blue Devils (3-3) did just that as they returned to Cameron Indoor Friday to take on Davidson. A healthy early lead led to a first-set victory for Duke, followed by a similar performance from the Wildcats in the second set to tie the match. In the third set, the Blue Devils turned up the gas, led by Richardson.

“I felt like a fire was lit in that third set,” Nagel remarked on the match against Davidson. “[Richardson] did a great job of providing that fire and competitiveness, and got some others rallying too.”

“All I’m focused on is winning,” Richardson said. “Nothing is going to be handed to us once it gets to a certain point in the game. You get into that dog mode, and it becomes by any means. It doesn’t have to be pretty, it just has to happen.” 

After a strong third set, Duke maintained the offensive onslaught to win the fourth set and the match as “All I Do Is Win” echoed through the rafters. A group of middle school volleyball players, decked in their team uniforms, cheered as the Blue Devils left the court, with Richardson flashing her No. 3 jersey as she swaggered out of the arena.

Returning to the court in a Saturday afternoon match, Duke continued its fiery offensive performance against FIU. The Blue Devils maintained an early first-set lead to win it 25-21. The second set was a different story, with the Panthers taking a strong mid-set lead 16-10 against Duke before the Blue Devils reversed momentum to win 25-21.

“I blew a gasket about that time, because I really thought we could be doing a lot better,” Nagel said of the second set deficit. “But they did dig in and play a little bit better.”

Duke kept its offensive momentum in the third set, leaping to a big lead before a last-minute rally by FIU to fend off five match points and gaining a match point of its own after an out-of-rotation penalty against Duke. However, the Blue Devils were able to lock in with a huge kill from Kadel and two missed attempts from the Panthers, narrowly closing the set 28-26 on their sixth match point. The victory over FIU saw Richardson continuing her  standout weekend, leading the team in kills.

Junior captain Kerry Keefe also had an exceptional weekend, leading the team in kills against LSU and Davidson and in digs against FIU. 

“She certainly was one of those that brought that competitive fire,” Nagel said of Keefe.

The rest of the team also put up impressive numbers throughout the weekend. Grace Penn led the team in all three matches for assists, compiling a stunning 99 in the series. Meanwhile, Breonna Goss brought a formidable 27 kills and 11 block contributions, with an impressive .684 hitting percentage against Davidson to reinforce the vigorous Duke offense. The stalwart defense for the Blue Devils was lead by Mailinh Godschall, who raised 58 total digs over the weekend, including a career-high 27 digs against the Tigers Thursday.

“Having [the team] alongside me, they just motivate me,” Richardson said. “They’re the reason why I’m able to push myself, able to try to make that next swing a little bit harder... I can’t get those swings without them getting the great digs and them giving the great sets.”

Before the season, Nagel told The Chronicle that leadership from the team’s captains would be crucial for Duke’s success. 

“[Richardson] is also providing a lot of leadership for us. When she’s out there on the court, she’s certainly doing that, and when she’s on the sideline, she’s doing that,” Nagel said following the three-match series. “Just what you want a senior to do.”

Beyond its impact at Duke, the Blue Devil volleyball squad serves as an example of scholar athleticism, with many young fans coming to see the team in action this weekend. The Blue Devil women stayed behind following the victory against FIU to give out autographed Duke-branded volleyballs. 

“Our student athletes, especially, are great role models with their academics, and also trying to play the sport at their highest level,” Nagel said. 

The team next hits the road to face off against Princeton and Penn State Friday and St. John’s Saturday in State College, Pa.

Share and discuss “Duke volleyball surges to victory against Davidson, FIU after stumble to LSU in weekend series” on social media.