5 interesting classes to consider before the end of drop/add

If you find yourself browsing DukeHub in search of that perfect class before drop/add ends on Sept. 6, The Chronicle is here to help. Here are five unique classes to add a fun twist to your workload. 

Human Skills for Software Engineering

Taught by Eric Noel Fouh Mbindi, LSRC A247, MW 4:40-5:55 p.m.

Course credits: COMPSCI 290

Prerequisite: Computer Science 201 or equivalent

“In today's fast paced world of software development, technical prowess alone is not enough to succeed,” the course website reads.

COMPSCI 290 equips students with essential interpersonal skills “to excel in the field” of software engineering by “bridg[ing] the gap between software engineering and personal development.”

In the fast-paced field of software development, this course will teach students to think ethically and collaborate effectively, while also “manag[ing stress and maintain[ing] emotional wellbeing.” Students will also learn to leverage AI tools and to prioritize the quality and readability of their code.

What was Heterosexuality?

Taught by Taylor Black and Ranjana Khanna, Allen 326, TuTh 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.

Course Credits: ENG 290, LIT 290, GSF 290 (CCI, ALP)

The course surveys twentieth-century art, literature, theory and popular media “to find out what it used to mean to be straight.”

It offers a “different, deeper way” of analyzing configurations of heterosexuality, viewing it from “the outside in.” Pulling from texts of psychoanalysis and philosophy, the course will show how “notions of heterosexual desire, identification, and socialization are conceived from the inside out.”

The course includes writing assignments of less than five pages and a creative project.

Representing Breast Cancer: Feminist Literature, Art and Film 

Taught by Kimberly Lamm, Perkins LINK 059 (Seminar 1), MW 4:40-5:55 p.m.

Course credits: AAAS 265S, ARTSVIS 263S, GSF 263S, LIT260S (CCI, W, ALP, CZ) 

This course aims to analyze breast cancer’s influence on literature, art and film through the lens of feminism, feminist medical ethics and disability studies.

According to the course description, it “sets artistic representations of breast cancer against the hyper-sexualization of breasts in capitalism’s visual cultures and the spectacles of breast cancer activism.”

The course also demonstrates how literature, art and film can speak to the material conditions of health care and “breast cancer’s psychic complexities.”

Ecology and Adaptation of Hunters and Gatherers

Taught by Steven Churchill, Biological Sciences 041, MW 3:05-4:20 p.m.

Course credits: EVANTH 257 (CCI, NS)

Prerequisites: Evolutionary Anthropology 101 or Biology 202L

In this course that explores hunter-gatherer societies — both extinct and still in existence — you can learn about “edible resource distribution” across environments and its connection to “mobility and subsistence strategies.”

The class also examines “archeological and fossil evidence for the evolution of human subsistence behavior,” providing a full picture of foraging societies.

Stage Management 

Taught by Thomas Quintas, Page 106, TuTh 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.

Course credits: DANCE 229, THEATRST 229 (CCI, ALP)

Are you curious what it’s like behind the scenes of big shows? This course introduces students to the skills needed to be a “smart, efficient and effective” stage manager for theatrical productions.

According to the course description, the class will “delve into the principles and processes of stage management” by exploring key responsibilities “throughout the production process.”

Claire Cranford profile
Claire Cranford | Features Managing Editor

Claire Cranford is a Trinity sophomore and features managing editor for the news department.       

Madera Longstreet-Lipson profile
Madera Longstreet-Lipson | Associate News Editor

Madera Longstreet-Lipson is a Trinity sophomore and an associate news editor for the news department.      

Share and discuss “5 interesting classes to consider before the end of drop/add ” on social media.