DUPD responds to report of rifle in Blue Zone parking lot, finds no active threat

Duke University Police Department responded to reports of an assault rifle in the Blue Zone parking lot Friday afternoon, which was determined to be “parts of airsoft guns, all of which were confiscated” by officers, according to a 2:55 p.m. email to The Chronicle.

University administration stated that there is “no threat to campus.”

“The safety of our Duke community is always our highest priority,” wrote Frank Tramble, vice president for communications, marketing and public affairs, in the Friday afternoon email.

According to text messages obtained by The Chronicle, a student discovered what appeared to be “ammunition and parts for an assault rifle” on the passenger side of a “parked, locked, unoccupied vehicle” in the Blue Zone lot late Friday morning.

University administration confirmed that DUPD responded to the call at around 11:30 a.m. and “established within minutes” that the weapon reported by the student was not an assault rifle. The University has also “followed up with the owner of the vehicle.”

North Carolina law states that open carry for individuals who legally own a firearm is allowed on all premises, except on private property and in businesses with “No Weapons” signs. 

Airsoft guns are “replica firearm[s] that [shoot] small plastic balls rather than bullets or pellets,” according to The Wolfman, a United Kingdom based rifles supplier. “... Airsoft guns are generally designed to be safe … [and] the power [is] deliberately limited to prevent serious injury.”

“We commend the individual who alerted Duke Police for their vigilance and commitment to safety,” Tramble wrote. “Safety concerns should always be reported directly to Duke Police as we work together to maintain a safe environment for all.”

Duke Student Affairs shared a statement later Friday afternoon in an email to all undergraduate, graduate and professional students from John Dailey, associate vice president of public safety and chief of police, and Debbie Heida, interim associate vice president and dean of students.

“We understand that this situation caused alarm, and we are grateful for the proactive efforts of our safety-minded community,” Dailey and Heida wrote.

Editor’s note: This article was updated Friday afternoon with a statement sent to all students by Student Affairs.

Zoe Kolenovsky profile
Zoe Kolenovsky | News Editor

Zoe Kolenovsky is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity junior and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “DUPD responds to report of rifle in Blue Zone parking lot, finds no active threat” on social media.