Duke women's soccer defeats No. 2 North Carolina 1-0 for its first home win in series history

Duke celebrates as time runs out against North Carolina.

In the 53rd Tobacco Road rivalry showdown, Duke secured a win against North Carolina in Durham for the first time ever. 

Fans adorned in both Blue Devil and Tar Heel blue packed Koskinen Stadium as graduate student Maggie Graham led her team to a historic 1-0 victory. 

The game’s only goal came in a dramatic fashion. With the clock winding down in the final minute of the first half, sophomore Cameron Roller launched a long ball from the Blue Devils' defensive third. The well-placed pass was slightly deflected by a North Carolina defender before finding sophomore Mia Minestrella, who redirected it to the feet of Graham. The Atlanta, Ga., native, with incredible composure under pressure, slid the ball just past the outstretched arms of Tar Heel goalkeeper Clare Gagne. The shot found the bottom right corner of the net, and Koskinen stadium erupted with celebratory cheers from the home crowd.

“Watching [the ball] go into the back of the net was just so exciting. I’ve been wanting to score against this team since I was a freshman,” Graham said.

From the opening whistle, the Blue Devils (3-1) set an unrelenting pace, launching into a high press with energetic attacks that unsettled the Tar Heels (6-1). Fifth year Ella Hase made an immediate impact, taking the game’s first shot on goal within a few minutes of play. This momentum was shared by the entire team, as it dominated possession and thwarted every attempt by North Carolina to establish some rhythm in the first ten minutes. 

“I thought we found our wide players, Mia [Oliaro] on the right-hand side, Ella [Hase] on the left-hand side. I thought we were dominant players there. So it was just a great win and just very happy for our program going forward,” head coach Robbie Church said.

Tragedy seemed to strike the Blue Devils when junior phenom Kat Rader toppled over Gagne in the 25th minute. The Stuart, Fla., native was chasing a through ball into the six-yard box when she collided with a Tar Heel defender and tripped over the keeper. Rader laid on the field for several minutes as trainers attended to her, eventually being assisted off with a boot encasing her foot.

But the Blue Devils did not allow an injury to their star to disrupt their energy. Church’s squad continued to press forward and capitalize on gaps left open by the Tar Heels, eventually creating the opportunity that led to Graham’s goal. 

“I think their backline played very high … we usually got in behind them. Just playing our lower block allowed us to have more space behind, so I think we tried to exploit that as well as switching the point of attack,” Graham said.

Duke came out in the second half with a renewed confidence and determination. Fueled by the energy from Graham’s goal, the team intensified its efforts, taking a series of shots and executing aggressive defensive tactics to keep the pressure firmly on North Carolina. 

“I thought we played on our front foot really well in the second half, and I thought we played in their half of the field,” Church said.

As the second half progressed, the Tar Heels gradually gained more possession, ramping up their offensive push in a desperate bid for an equalizer. Interim head coach Damon Nahas’ squad took two of its three second half shots in a frantic last five minutes of play. Meanwhile, the Blue Devil defense tightened their grip, adopting a more conservative approach to ensure no dangerous chances would penetrate their defensive third. 

Duke’s standout defensive performance that led to and preserved its lead showcased its discipline and intensity. By challenging players on the ball, winning crucial 50/50 balls and controlling the midfield, they managed to stifle an undefeated North Carolina team that had been on an absolute tear. Over their previous six matches, the Tar Heels had averaged 24.8 shots per game; the Blue Devils kept them to a mere six.

“It was about getting that big win, getting that nationally ranked, No. 2 team in the country [win]. We had a great opportunity. It was just taking advantage and finishing that opportunity,” Church said. 

Duke will look to capitalize on this momentum Sunday when it takes on East Tennessee State in Koskinen Stadium and again Thursday against Missouri. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's soccer defeats No. 2 North Carolina 1-0 for its first home win in series history” on social media.