Beats' picks: Can Duke football defeat North Carolina for the first time since 2018?

Manny Diaz will look for his first ACC win Saturday.

For the ACC slate, our football beat writers predict whether the Blue Devils will pick up a win in their weekly matchup. In a highly-anticipated rivalry contest, the Duke will welcome North Carolina to Wallace Wade Stadium at 4 p.m. Saturday:

Ranjan Jindal: Duke 30-23 

Yes, North Carolina's defense gave up 70 last week, but I think Geoff Collins' unit will come in highly motivated and play somewhat better. The stat I am watching is third-down conversions, because I think both offenses need to stay on the field, especially Duke. I'm also curious about the Tar Heel quarterback situation, and while I think Jacolby Criswell can play well in spurts, I predict the Blue Devil defense forces a key turnover to make the difference. 

Dom Fenoglio: Duke 38-35

Despite the dominance of Duke’s defense thus far through the season, I see this game shaking out as a shootout. Much like the past two meetings between these rivals, I also see Saturday’s contest coming down to the wire. The key difference is on the Tar Heels’ side: They no longer have Drake Maye at quarterback. Therefore, I think the Blue Devils will finally get over the hump and beat North Carolina. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Maalik Murphy has succeeded in pressure situations already — namely at Northwestern — and I have faith in his late-game performance come Saturday.

Caleb Dudley: Duke 31-28

I went with this same score prediction on the Blue Devil Blitz, so I will stick with it here. Duke’s defense has looked impressive, but I still think Omarion Hampton will have his way with the Blue Devils and keep the Tar Heels in the game on the ground. However, the lack of a gamebreaker at quarterback for North Carolina and the road environment in Durham will result in the Victory Bell staying at Wallace Wade Stadium. 

Martin Heintzelman: Duke 17-10

Ultimately, I think this one is going to be a defensive battle. Duke has had one of the better defenses in the country so far and has done fairly well against the run. Against a Tar Heel offense lacking at quarterback that will hinge largely on Hampton, I think the Blue Devils will match up well. That said, Duke’s offense has not looked great either, and I think it will struggle against a true Power 4 opponent. Look for a low-scoring affair, but for the Blue Devils to come out as the stronger all-around team with the home-field advantage. 

Rodrigo Amare: North Carolina 23-20

While the Blue Devils coasted to a comfortable victory last time out, North Carolina was just handed its most embarrassing loss in years. The Tar Heels will be hungry to bounce back in the best way possible by winning a rivalry game on Duke’s field. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the Blue Devils will struggle to deal with the intensity of the game and the pressure of the moment. Although Murphy has been good so far this season, he has a tendency to attempt risky throws down the field that put the ball in danger. Duke’s opponents through four weeks haven’t really been able capitalize on those inconsistencies, but I think North Carolina will. 

Abby DiSalvo: Duke 24-17

The Blue Devils have relied heavily on second-half comebacks this season, but I think their strong defensive presence will deliver a more comfortable victory against North Carolina. Hampton will inevitably keep the Tar Heels in the game by pulling off a few breakaway drives on the ground, but Diaz’s squad should otherwise be able to stall major plays. All that remains is for Duke to take advantage of the porous defense that led to the Tar Heels’ downfall against James Madison, and the Victory Bell may stay in Durham.

Tyler Walley: Duke 24-21

While I predicted North Carolina would best Duke in my preseason rankings, the tape through four games now makes me lean the other way. This game will ultimately come down to Hampton, who is likely to receive north of 20 touches this game. I think the Blue Devils’ defense can do just enough to limit Hampton’s explosive runs, while Murphy will look to feast on a secondary that allowed five scores through the air against James Madison. Ultimately, I have Duke winning a nail-biter to secure the Victory Bell.

Dom Fenoglio | Sports Managing Editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity junior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Rodrigo Amare

Rodrigo Amare is a Trinity sophomore and assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Martin Heintzelman profile
Martin Heintzelman

Martin Heintzelman is a Trinity junior and Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Abby DiSalvo profile
Abby DiSalvo

Abby DiSalvo is a Trinity sophomore and assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Beats' picks: Can Duke football defeat North Carolina for the first time since 2018?” on social media.