Blast from the past: A look at Duke basketball's 100-year transformation

<p>The front page of The Chronicle on Jan. 14, 1925, highlighting Duke men's basketball's losses to Davidson College.</p>

The front page of The Chronicle on Jan. 14, 1925, highlighting Duke men's basketball's losses to Davidson College.

In honor of Duke’s Centennial, the Blue Zone’s Blast from the Past series highlights pivotal figures and events in Duke sports history. Next, we look at the transformation of Duke's basketball program over the last century:

In January 1925, almost 100 years ago, the Blue Devils played their first basketball game under a new name after Trinity College transformed into Duke University. Much like today, they were expected to excel, and fans hoped to see the team win its home game against Davidson in the famous Charlotte Auditorium. Unfortunately, a narrow loss in the final minutes earned the athletic team its first defeat, with a frustrating score of 27-25. 

The Davidson matchup 

The 1924-25 season saw the introduction of George Buchheit, an experienced coach boasting a 44-27 record in his four years with the University of Kentucky. The beginning of Duke’s season started off with a double-header against Davidson, where the Blue Devils managed to gain an early lead and finish the first half 15-7. Despite sensational passing — the “feature of the game,” according to the original Chronicle article — Captain Bullock was not able to lead the team to victory, as the Wildcats “staged a strong comeback” and defeated Duke’s 12-point lead to take the game 27-25. 

Hoping for an improvement by Duke, the teams faced off once more, journeying to Davidson where the Blue Devils began the second game with a steady and consistent lead. Star shooter Kimball was the high-scorer for the game, but unfortunately his domination up front wasn’t enough to carry the team to victory, and Duke went down 39-22. After such a poor start, the season ended with a dismal record. The Blue Devils won only four out of 13 games, consistently losing to rival teams. 

Celebrating the Centennial

The centennial celebration of Trinity’s transformation into Duke, which aligns with the 2024-25 basketball season, prompts a look back on how far the Blue Devils have come. After almost 70 years of play, the team won its first of five national titles in 1991. Duke brought home each championship under coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has now become a legend in Duke’s history. The team, currently ranked No. 9 in the NCAA, has become a formidable threat.

The change is especially apparent after examining Duke’s freshman roster this year. The 5-star freshman Cooper Flagg and Khaman Maluach have practically become celebrities on campus due to their outstanding reputations. Flagg, the 6-foot-9 freshman point guard and forward, is the second Duke signee all-time with a 1.0000 rating from 247Sports. He is a 5-star recruit and the only collegiate player named to the 2024 USA Basketball Men’s Select Team. Maluach, the 7-foot-2 freshman center, has an incredible reputation as well. He is a 5-star recruit from South Sudan who participated in the NBA Academy Africa in 2021, aided South Sudan in qualifying for the Paris Olympics in 2024 and was named MVP of the NBA's Basketball Without Borders (BWB) Africa camp in 2023. Both bring new energy to the team, contributing to Duke’s projected season success. Freshman Isaiah Evans, Kon Knueppel, Patrick Ngongba II and Darren Harris are projected to bring additional success.

With basketball season fast approaching, Duke’s transformation over the last century offers an exciting window into future success. Evolving from a consistently losing team to becoming a feared name throughout collegiate basketball, Duke has become known throughout the world for its skill. As Coach Sheyer enters his third season, it will be interesting to see the team’s progress under his already successful management. Duke will certainly be a feared team this season, gaining early leads and — this time — maintaining them. 

Share and discuss “Blast from the past: A look at Duke basketball's 100-year transformation” on social media.