Duke in the Pros: Jones struggles in opening loss while Gray and Stroud shine

Daniel Jones had a rough start to his 2024 season

With the NFL season starting last week, and the MLS and WNBA campaigns in full swing, the Blue Zone is here to break down the performances of a few former Blue Devil stars competing at the top of their respective sports:

Daniel Jones, New York Giants 

Daniel Jones, nicknamed ‘Danny Dimes’ and ‘Vanilla Vick’ for his dual-threat abilities, has been one of Duke’s most successful players in the NFL since being selected as the sixth overall pick in the 2019 Draft. However, the New York Giants starting quarterback struggled Sunday in a 28-6 loss against the Minnesota Vikings. Jones completed only 22-of-42 passes and threw two interceptions, including a pick-six late in the third quarter to virtually seal a New York defeat. 

Since replacing Giants legend Eli Manning in the third game of his rookie season, Jones has become an established starter and team captain by proving his skills and leadership. After a few rocky campaigns with Jones as the starting quarterback, New York won its first playoff game in the 2022 Wild Card Round against the Vikings 31-24. However, just as  Jones’s improvement appeared more and more promising for Giants fans, he tore his ACL Nov. 5 against the Raiders, and has been struggling to recover his form from a few years ago. Jones’ comeback will be pivotal for New York’s success this season, so he will hope to fare better in the upcoming weeks than he did against Minnesota Sunday. - Addie Bellows

Jamison Crowder, Washington Commanders 

Thirty-one year-old wide receiver Jamison Crowder started his tenth NFL season Sunday as a special teams and second-string option with the Washington Commanders. During Washington’s Week 1 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Crowder caught one pass for five yards and featured as the Commanders’ punt returner. This is the Monroe, N.C., native’s sixth non-consecutive year on the team, making him a valuable asset in a much-needed program revamp. Crowder’s experience on the field is undeniable: He’s played a total of 118 games in the NFL, 74 of those with Washington. During his four years with the Blue Devils, Crowder was a two-time All-ACC first-team selection, six-time ACC Player of the Week, a repeat Sports Illustrated All-American and shares the NCAA record for the longest pass reception. This year, the former Duke star may not get many receiving yards, but Crowder’s guidance and mentorship for fellow wide receivers Dyami Brown, Luke McCaffrey, Noah Brown and Terry McLaurin could help the Commanders make a step in the right direction. - Reagan Henderlite

Chelsea Gray, Las Vegas Aces

Gray’s success this season has been evident through her impressive stats and her strong leadership. The Hayward, Calif., native began her professional career when she was drafted 11th overall in 2014 by the Connecticut Sun, before being traded to the Los Angeles Sparks in 2016. Gray played 33 games in her debut season with Los Angeles as a backup point guard, averaging 5.9 points per game as the team won a championship. After a breakout 2017 season, Gray has won an additional two WNBA championships and has been voted an All Star six times. Most recently, Gray was named to the 2024 USA Basketball Women’s Olympic team competing in Paris, and earned a second career gold medal after a strong performance. 

Since then, the gold medalist has been instrumental to the Las Vegas Aces' success this season, as the team currently holds second place in the Western Conference. Gray isn’t slowing down either, scoring double digit points in Las Vegas' consecutive wins Tuesday and Friday. As the playoffs approach, the Aces are relying on the veteran’s experience and skillful playmaking to lead them on a deep run. - Bellows

Peter Stroud, New York Red Bulls

Following a devastating ankle injury against Chicago Fire last April, midfielder Peter Stroud is ready to hit the ground running again. The homegrown 22-year-old started in his first game back for the Red Bulls versus Sporting Kansas City this past weekend, which ended in a 1-1 tie after a last-minute score by teammate Julian Hall. Stroud earned 58 minutes and amassed a 93.3% pass accuracy percentage on the pitch, an impressive feat after over four months on the sidelines. The Chester Township, N.J., native could be the key to pulling the team out of a plateaued season, though fellow New York midfielders Felipe Carballo and Daniel Edelman will keep the competition for more minutes tight. The Duke alum stated before the game, “there’s always someone ready to take your spot, and I think that’s a good thing…you need to be fully focused, fully locked in.” As his second season with the team comes to a close, Stroud has totaled 662 minutes, an 89.2% pass completion rate and three assists, making him a player to keep an eye on Saturday as the Red Bulls play Chicago for the first time since the midfielder’s injury. - Henderlite

Share and discuss “Duke in the Pros: Jones struggles in opening loss while Gray and Stroud shine” on social media.