Extra point: Duke football defeats Middle Tennessee with efficient offensive performance

Diaz's high-powered defense help shut the Blue Raiders down, but offensive production was key in the victory against Middle Tennessee.

Duke football extended its record to 4-0 after posting a final score of 45-17 against Middle Tennessee. The Blue Zone is here to break down the victory with three key takeaways, stats and a look ahead: 

Three key takeaways

1. Strong opening

Duke scored on its first two drives for the first time this season, capitalizing on great field position and the mistakes of Middle Tennessee. The Blue Devils additionally overcame an early 66-yard touchdown by Blue Raider running back Jaiden Credle. After a leap into the end zone by running back Star Thomas raised the score to 21-10 Duke, the Blue Raiders were left trailing. Despite playing from behind, Middle Tennessee quarterback Nicholas Vattiato struggled significantly in the passing game, finishing with only 127 yards through the air. The Blue Raiders also had a problem getting out of the gate in their losses against Western Kentucky and then-No. 6 Ole Miss. Against Ole Miss, they only scored three points throughout the whole game. However, against Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee put up 21 total points, all scored after halftime when the Hilltoppers were already up 28-0. While Duke played a strong game from an efficiency and box score perspective, the Blue Devils will be tested against more formidable teams in the coming weeks and may have greater difficulty in setting the tone early, much like the struggle that was the Northwestern matchup.

2. Efficiency and time of possession

Before the weather delay occurred with 5:41 left on the clock in the third quarter, Middle Tennessee held the ball for nearly twice as much time as the Blue Devils. Throughout the course of the entire game, the Blue Raiders had possession for 36:15 compared to Duke’s 23:45. Middle Tennessee’s commitment to the run game helped the Blue Raiders eat up clock despite being down multiple scores, illustrating their lack of a passing threat. Credle was easily the bright spot of the Blue Raider offense, averaging 10.4 yards per carry for a total of 125 yards and a score. Despite the massive time of possession discrepancy, Duke still managed to win in blowout fashion thanks to offensive efficiency on short field drives, converting for four touchdowns following three Blue Raider fumbles and one interception. 

3. Tight end production

Despite a season-ending injury to starting tight end Jeremiah Hasley against Northwestern, head coach Manny Diaz and quarterback Maalik Murphy were able to utilize the tight ends in this game. Nicky Dalmolin put on a standout show, recording four catches for 100 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 25.0 yards per catch. His first 71-yard touchdown set the momentum for the Blue Devils early. However, his second catch in the end zone was just as impressive, as he maneuvered to catch the ball while staying in bounds.

Three key stats

1. 26 points

The Blue Devils eclipsed 26 points for the first time this season, marking an overall offensive breakthrough. Despite punting four times and accumulating only 340 yards on offense — their lowest total of the season — they scored 19 more points than in each of the team’s previous three games.  

2. Three fumbles

The Duke defense forced three fumbles in the first quarter, quickly setting the tone for the game. Aside from the Blue Raiders’ 80-second, 75-yard opening touchdown drive, Middle Tennessee was unable to gain any offensive traction, and the game was all but over by the turn of the quarter as the Blue Devils took a three-possession lead within 14 minutes.

3. 4-for-4

Duke scored a touchdown on all four of its forced turnovers: three fumbles and one interception. Even though the offense struggled at times to get going, it hardly mattered since the Blue Devils were able to take advantage of excellent field position, scoring 28 points on only 59 yards of offense. That’s an average of just under 15 yards per touchdown drive following each forced fumble and interception.

Looking ahead

The Blue Devils will square off in a rivalry matchup against North Carolina (3-1) on Saturday, Sept. 28, in front of Duke’s first sold-out student section of the season. Duke will look to continue its offensive momentum against a squad that recently allowed 70 points to James Madison and begin the season undefeated through five games for the first time since 1994.

Share and discuss “Extra point: Duke football defeats Middle Tennessee with efficient offensive performance” on social media.