Beats' picks: Can Duke pull off a road win against Northwestern?

Graduate wideout Eli Pancol hauls in a touchdown pass in Duke's Week 1 win against Elon.

Before every Duke football game this season, our beat writers will predict whether the Blue Devils will pick up a win. Duke travels to Northwestern Friday at 9 p.m. for its first road game of the season:

Ranjan Jindal: Duke 21-14

I don’t have a great read on this game because it feels like there are a lot of unknowns, including the weather in Evanston, Ill., and the new quarterbacks on both sides. Mike Wright can be dangerous with his legs, but I think the offensive playmakers around Maalik Murphy will make the key difference. Look for Nicky Dalmolin to have a big game finding gaps in the Wildcat secondary, and Jonathan Brewer's tempo offense to throw off the defense for a couple key plays late. 

Dom Fenoglio: Duke 17-10

Last time the Blue Devils took a trip to Evanston, they needed a fumble on the goal line to come away with a win. I see this iteration of the matchup playing similarly close. The Wildcats tout a stingy defense that tries to force opponents into chipping their way down the field. This could pose problems for redshirt sophomore Murphy and the Duke offense, who we saw in Week 1 love to air out the ball downfield. However, the Blue Devils have an effective defense of their own, and I believe more in the strength of their front than Northwestern’s. This game may come down to the wire, and in my prediction I see Murphy leading his first game-winning drive late.

Caleb Dudley: Duke 14-10

In Week 1, both teams seemed to possess defenses that were steps ahead of their offenses. While this is not atypical early in the season, something will have to change Friday in Evanston. Duke’s offense seemed slightly better than the Wildcats during the season opener, although it was playing a far inferior opponent in Elon. Murphy showed his ability to push the ball downfield, and I think the Blue Devils will make one or two big-time connections on deep balls that will propel them to a victory. 

Martin Heintzelman: Northwestern 24-21

I think this Northwestern team matches up a little too nicely against the Blue Devils. The Wildcats are a strong defensive team that does not like to give up big plays and stops the run well. If senior running back Jaquez Moore can’t get going and Murphy struggles to connect with his receivers on short-yardage plays, it could be a long night for the visiting team.

Abby DiSalvo: Duke 17-14

The similarities between Duke’s and Northwestern’s teams are striking. Both put on a dominant defensive showing in Week 1 while breaking in a new starting quarterback, and Friday will likely yield another low-scoring game. But though Wildcat quarterback Mike Wright looks to have a stronger rushing game, Murphy fares far better in the air. With both teams likely to shut down the other’s run plays, I think his blossoming synergy with the Blue Devils’ wide receivers will give Duke an edge — albeit small — that allows it to take home the win.

Rodrigo Amare: Duke 20-17

This should be a low-scoring game defined by a few critical plays from each team’s best players. The 2024 Wildcats are a much better team than the one Duke handily dispatched 38-14 just under a year ago. Bolstered by an elite defense, Northwestern currently rides a five-game winning streak dating back to the end of last season, so Diaz and company have a hard task ahead of them against a red-hot foe on its home field. Ultimately, I think the difference-maker Friday will be the superior skill-position talent of the Blue Devils, particularly at the quarterback and wide-receiver positions. Murphy must excel in critical moments for Duke to emerge victorious in Evanston, and I believe he will. 

Tyler Walley: Duke 24-14

I believe this game will come down to the play of its quarterbacks, and while Wildcats signal caller Mike Wright cannot be overlooked, the Blue Devils’ dominant pass rushing should force enough punts for the offense to effectively operate. Although I worry about Duke’s run game — 59 yards on 27 attempts against Elon doesn’t inspire much confidence — I believe Murphy’s growing chemistry with wide receivers Jordan Moore and Eli Pancol will result in a higher percentage of his deep throws being completed. As such, I have Duke escaping Evanston with a solid win in a relatively low-scoring affair.

Dom Fenoglio | Sports Managing Editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity junior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Rodrigo Amare

Rodrigo Amare is a Trinity sophomore and assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Martin Heintzelman profile
Martin Heintzelman

Martin Heintzelman is a Trinity junior and Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Abby DiSalvo profile
Abby DiSalvo

Abby DiSalvo is a Trinity sophomore and assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Beats' picks: Can Duke pull off a road win against Northwestern?” on social media.