Duke field hockey starts season undefeated, Bustin becomes winningest coach in program history

Duke field hockey's Alaina McVeigh had three goals on the weekend.

In the final ten minutes of the season opener, a deceptive shot by senior Logan Clouser secured head coach Pam Bustin’s place as the winningest coach in Duke field hockey history. 

The fifth-ranked Blue Devils opened their season with a 5-0 home victory against William and Mary Aug. 30. Fans at Jack Katz Stadium sat in anticipation of Bustin earning her 163rd win; Duke put on an offensive clinic, posting 15 shots on goal and 28 shots total. The scoring was opened by none other than Preseason All-ACC first-team selection Alaina McVeigh, and the team kept the momentum rolling throughout the entirety of the contest. On the defensive end, the Blue Devils (2-0) shut out the Tribe’s attacking efforts, holding the team to zero shots.

“I'm just so grateful to be a part of this athletic department and for being given the opportunity years ago to help lead this team. It is the greatest bunch of kids, and I've had the greatest staff here at Duke and the greatest leaders in the administration…” Bustin said on reaching the milestone. “I get to coach kids who want to win and help them achieve that, so I'm really proud of that.” 

McVeigh kept the momentum rolling in Sunday’s 3-1 win against UMass Lowell, opening the scoring in the first period off of a penalty corner. The Landsdale, Pa., native already tallied two goals in the home opener, and now sits with three goals on the season. She is one step closer to becoming the 43rd player in program history to reach 50 career points. 

Also getting on the score sheet in the next period was senior Kira Curland, who earned her first goal of the season off an unassisted hit. The play displayed a team effort between McVeigh and Curland, with McVeigh sending the ball into the middle of the circle and Curland finishing it off with a pass into the net. Senior Josephine Palde also earned her first goal of the season in the fourth period, extending the Blue Devil lead to 3-0.

The matchup against the River Hawks displayed the Blue Devils’ continued chemistry on the field, as the team connected strong passes down the line and set up scoring opportunities in the shooting circle. Coming off of a breakthrough 2023 season, Duke has not lost its spark.

“I think we've done a good job in listening to our team and in finding out what our overall personality is and our goals,” Bustin said of this season’s incoming players. “And so if you have that personality that loves sport and enjoys it and wants to work hard to win, fitting in is seamless. The freshmen have been awesome and our grad kids incredible. It's like they've been here the whole time.”

The matchup displayed composure throughout the entirety of the game by the Blue Devils. On defense, Duke constantly shut down its opponent, intercepting passes and limiting chances in the shooting circle. The team never forced the ball forward and instead focused on possession, playing out from the back and working the ball through the midfield. 

As the weather took a turn, so did the direction of the game. After three periods of near domination coupled with excessive heat, the start of a downpour was accompanied by a late goal for the River Hawks. In the match’s final two minutes, a breakdown in the Blue Devil defense led to UMass Lowell’s lone goal by freshman Karlijn Kerkhof.

Despite a sour ending to the game, the narrative of the weekend still surrounds Bustin’s achievements and carrying over the success of last season into a challenging schedule ahead. 

“Like every team, we have our highs and lows, but I think she's done so much for this team. [Coach Bustin] cares so much for every single one of us, and we really appreciate it…” senior Kira Curland said. “She really deserves that honor.”

Duke will take on No. 1 Northwestern Sept. 6 and No 4. Maryland Sept. 8 in the ACC/Big 10 Cup in Evanston, Ill. The Blue Devils faced the Wildcats twice last season, one of the losses coming in the semifinals of the NCAA tournament

“It’s super exciting to start up the season like this, and now getting to play in Chicago against Big 10 teams that are traditionally really good, we're just excited,” Curland said. 

Share and discuss “Duke field hockey starts season undefeated, Bustin becomes winningest coach in program history” on social media.