Duke regains free access to GoTriangle buses after GoPass program reinstated

Duke community members can ride GoRaleigh (pictured above) and GoTriangle buses for free with the GoPass.

The Duke community is regaining access to free bus rides in the Triangle through the GoPass program.

GoPass previously provided students, faculty and staff at the University and health system with free access to GoTriangle buses, which serve Durham, Orange and Wake Counties. But the program’s future became uncertain after the service ended its COVID-era fare-free ridership program in July.

Now, Duke Parking and Transportation has reinstated GoPass for all community members with a Duke NetID and a Duke email address.

GoPass provides free access to all GoTriangle and GoRaleigh buses. GoDurham and GoCary buses will be fare-free for all riders through 2025, and boarding credentials will not be required.

GoTriangle is partnering with the fare-paying app Umo, and Blue Devils can obtain their GoPass by applying for an Umo code.

GoPass holders can use the Umo mobile app or request a physical Umo GoPass card for bus access. The card costs $5 in person and can be picked up at the Regional Transit Center’s Pass Sales Office. Users can request a card to be mailed to them for $6 by calling the Regional Information Center at (919) 485-7433.

Riders can view active bus routes through the GoTriangle Trip Planner.

Duke Parking and Transportation offers a number of additional alternative transportation resources, including carpool and vanpool services.

Zoe Kolenovsky profile
Zoe Kolenovsky | News Editor

Zoe Kolenovsky is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke regains free access to GoTriangle buses after GoPass program reinstated” on social media.