Transfer portal recap: Duke softball adds infield and batting talent to its 2025 roster

Head coach Marissa Young brought in three transfers for the program's eighth season.

With the transfer portal’s new prevalence in college sports, every team is bound to be impacted in one way or another. Duke softball will have a slightly different team going into next season, gaining a trio of talented infielders while taking a loss in pitching depth.

Outgoing transfers

Lillie Walker

Former Blue Devil pitcher Lillie Walker is departing the program following her graduation. She will be joining Baylor next season, and Duke will surely miss her 1.98 ERA in 63.2 innings last season. Walker was a key pitcher in high-leverage situations for the Blue Devils, oftentimes in relief of co-aces Jala Wright and Cassidy Curd.  

Incoming transfers

Thessa Malau’ulu

Third baseman Thessa Malau’ulu will join the Blue Devils after finishing her undergraduate career at UCLA last season. In her senior year, Malau’ulu tallied 35 hits in 119 at-bats, good for a .294 batting average. During the Bruins’ clinching win in their Super Regional faceoff against Georgia, Malau’ulu turned in a 3-for-3 day at the plate, proving an ability to contribute at the highest level in big moments. The Long Beach, Calif., native will likely not see much time at the hot corner with star Ana Gold returning for her senior season, but should provide value wherever she finds opportunities around the diamond.

KK Mathis

Mathis comes to Durham after spending her first two seasons of collegiate softball suiting up for James Madison. Mathis hit .336 last season for the Dukes, starting 47 games at both first and second base. The West Chester, Ohio native will bring a strong contact tool while holding down the cold corner, likely to replace Gisele Tapia at first following her graduation last spring.

Dakota Farmer 

Farmer will be suiting up for head coach Marissa Young’s team after spending her freshman year at the University of Pennsylvania. The catcher only made eight starts and appeared in 27 games for the Quakers last season, but when she did see game action, she made the most of it. Farmer hit .317 in 41 at-bats, and will be looking to continue her production while finding more consistent playing time in Durham. Farmer will be sharing duties behind the plate with junior Kairi Rodriguez following program cornerstone Kelly Torres’ departure. 

The three incoming transfers will join four freshmen as the new contingent of Duke’s team next year, looking to build off its first Women’s College World Series appearance. 

Share and discuss “Transfer portal recap: Duke softball adds infield and batting talent to its 2025 roster” on social media.