Duke football 2024 positional preview: Defensive line

Duke's defensive unit will have to fill holes left by R.J. Oben and DeWayne Carter.

With the 2024 season coming up fast, The Chronicle is breaking down each major position group on the Duke roster: specialists, defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, defensive line, offensive line, receivers and quarterbacks. Next up is the defensive line:

With one defensive-minded head coach gone and Manny Diaz at the reins for the 2024 season, the Blue Devils front unit faces high expectations. Diaz brings a patented defensive flair filled with schematic trickery. While his mad-football-scientist mind might be filled with an abundance of creative stunts and blitz packages, the Blue Devil defensive line has some large shoes to fill. Stars R.J. Oben, Aeneas Peebles and DeWayne Carter have gone to the transfer portal and NFL, but the defensive unit will nonetheless be heavily relied upon as Diaz transitions away from the deep secondary he has used extensively at Penn State and previous stops. All that being said, there seem to be more answers than questions in this group, with plenty of familiar and talented players returning and arriving to the team. 

Key players lost: R.J. Oben, DeWayne Carter, Aeneas Peebles

Defensive end R.J. Oben and defensive tackles DeWayne Carter and Aeneas Peebles all found new homes this past off-season. With Oben joining former Duke quarterback Riley Leonard at Notre Dame, Carter getting drafted by the Buffalo Bills and Peebles headed to Virginia Tech, the Blue Devils find themselves without three of their biggest defensive talents. 

Oben had been a dominant force for the Blue Devils for the past three seasons, using his long arms and quick hands to wreak havoc as a defensive end. An adept pass rusher, Oben racked up 13 sacks, 61 tackles, four forced fumbles and one interception over the past three years. He ended his career as eighth on the Duke all-time sack leaders list. While Oben may be the most significant loss to the Duke defense’s pass rush, losing defensive tackle DeWayne Carter will leave an even larger hole in the Blue Devils run defense. Carter’s unique combination of leadership, power and run-stopping prowess was the anchor for one of Duke’s best positional units last season. The three-time captain bulldozed his way to 113 tackles at Duke, with 12 sacks. Carter’s defensive tackle partner, Aeneas Peebles, also leaves a sizable hole. He racked up six sacks and 82 tackles. Peebles looks poised to have his best season yet in burnt orange and maroon, after coming off a monster campaign — 40 tackles — last year. Peebles served as a premier intermediary between Carter and Oben, showcasing next-level talent in the pass rush and run defense. His quickness and hunger for the ball carrier allowed him to wreak havoc in tandem with Carter, a nightmarish duo for any interior lineman. Carter’s tenacity and Peebles’ active hands earned them both all-ACC honors at the end of the season: first and third team, respectively. Peebles and Oben look to continue their dominance inside and outside the ACC while Carter perfects his tools at the next level.  

Projected starters: Wesley Williams, Aaron Hall, Kendy Charles, Michael Reese 

While Oben and Carter leave NFL-sized holes in their absences, plenty of familiar faces should be ready to take the helm of Duke’s talented unit. Kendy Charles is the only new face in the starting unit, but the 280-pound defensive tackle hopes to make himself familiar with Wade Wackos soon. Thus far into his career, he has already notched over 100 tackles and 13 sacks. The Liberty transfer will be the most immediate successor to first-team ACC tackle DeWayne Carter and will look to serve a similar role as one of the team’s best and biggest run-stoppers, evidenced by his growing tally of 22.5 tackles for loss. Charles’ strength at the point of attack will be greatly appreciated by both his linebackers and secondary, as Charles’ bull rush is easily capable of pushing any lineman into the lap of his quarterback. While Charles might need time to adjust to ACC football, he has both the tools and pedigree to be the anchor this unit needs. 

Charles is joined on the interior by junior Aaron Hall. The Durham local will look to add his 34 career tackles and tack on a couple more sacks as well. While lighter in frame than his counterpart, Hall’s quickness and leverage at the position should allow him to generate interior pressure and excel in Diaz’s stunts. 

Defensive ends Wesley Williams and Michael Reese return to the program with high expectations and plenty of room to grow under Diaz. Williams is primed for a breakout campaign after an impressive start last season — 37 tackles and one sack. Duke’s defensive rookie of the year offers length and leverage lost by Oben’s departure, albeit on a slightly smaller frame. While it may not immediately show in the stat sheet, expect Williams’ impact to set the tone for the unit, especially with the versatility that he offers Coach Diaz. Opposite Williams is 255-pound Micheal Reese, who adds needed experience, leadership and a speedier option off the edge. With so much work and attention being brought opposite to him, expect Reese to benefit from many collapsed pockets. His size offers him speed and sideline-to-sideline ability that separates him from the other hand-in-the-dirt linemen. The Nashville, Tenn., native’s speed should allow him to track and hunt down any quarterback that runs from the rest of the dogs inside. 

Dark horse: Vincent Anthony Jr.

Former four-star recruit Vincent Anthony Jr. is slightly lower than expected in a rebuilt defensive rotation, but do not let that temper expectations. The 6-foot-6 former Duke rookie of the year has an unrivaled length waiting to be tapped into. Anthony has already racked up 45 tackles, with 6.5 for loss, so far into his career. With his wingspan alone, he can disrupt the run game, using his long limbs to set the edge and get into the chest of any tackle he faces. The Durham native also has three pass breakups thus far into his career and has a knack for pestering opposing quarterbacks by batting balls down at the line. Anthony offers Coach Diaz a monster frame with a serious ability to wreak havoc when his leverage is established. However, even with his towering stance, Anthony is lighter than the rest of the starting rotation, weighing around 250 pounds. The weight is sometimes noticeable when Anthony gets stuck in the phone booth, but he has all the right tools to overcome this with active hands and his natural frame. Duke fans should be excited to see the development and skill set he has put together in the offseason. Even in the second rotation, the defensive end should be more than productive.    

Share and discuss “Duke football 2024 positional preview: Defensive line” on social media.