Duke field hockey 2024 season preview

Duke field hockey will look to build off a historic 2023 season.

Overview

While the Blue Devils were hoping for an improved 2023 season, no one outside of the locker room could have predicted such an impressive turnaround. In 2022, the team went 0-6 in conference play and had an overall losing record of 7-11. However, entering the 2023 season, head coach Pam Bustin knew her team was capable of achieving much more. The squad surpassed everyone’s expectations, going 5-1 in conference play and ending with a strong 18-5 record. 

Last season, the Blue Devils proved to be a top competitor in the ACC — a powerhouse conference in the world of field hockey. The team had statement wins against conference opponents in Syracuse, Virginia and Boston College. This season is no different. Five of the top 10 teams in the NFHCA Preseason Poll belong to the ACC, including No. 2 Virginia and No. 3 North Carolina. 

With no shortage of competition in the conference, the presence of returning players is key to another successful season. Returning for their final season are graduate students Barb Civitella and Charlie van Oirschot. Van Oirschot — the team’s captain — provides the necessary energy and leadership to get this team back to the championship level play of last season. Oirschot — one of three Duke players to be named to the Preseason All-ACC team along with Alaina McVeigh and Paige Bitting — has made her physical presence known up and down the sidelines. Of the eight returning starters is none other than McVeigh. The junior led the ACC with 17 goals and was awarded 2023 ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Year. 

Although the Blue Devils’ season was filled with success, their greatest competitor still lies in their rival down the road. The Tar Heels took home both matchups last season, including a shutout win in the ACC championship. The only other team Duke fell to twice in the 2023 season was Northwestern, who enters the season as the No. 1 team in the country. 

Bustin’s squad has the potential to do something special this season, but the question remains whether they can break through and takedown teams like Northwestern and North Carolina. The Blue Devils got a taste of this in their 2-1 loss against the Wildcats in the semifinals of the NCAA tournament. With plenty of talent and strong chemistry, the 2024 season should be filled with plenty of excitement. -Sydney Olin

New players to watch: Ashley Stockdale, Frederique Wollaert

Duke has plenty of incoming talent this season, from both the freshmen and graduate students. Highly accomplished freshman Ashley Stockdale earned NFHCA All-American honors in 2023 and was ranked in the top 50 of 2024 freshman by Max Field Hockey. Holding her high school record of 32 goals, 28 assists and 92 points in one season, she is likely to be a promising addition to the forward and midfield positions for the Blue Devils. On the other side of the field, graduate student Frederique Wollaert will bring talent in goal. The Netherlands native, previously at Penn, earned first-team All-Ivy recognition in 2023, was twice awarded Ivy Defensive Player of the Week and recorded 93 saves with a .744 save percentage last season. These new players are likely to help maintain the level of success the team was able to reach in 2023. -Mary Hill

Returning players to watch: Alaina McVeigh, Kira Curland

Of Duke’s five players to receive an All-ACC recognition in the 2023 season, two will be back on the field, including McVeigh and senior Kira Curland. Both are well-decorated, strong players, likely to aid the Blue Devils in another successful season. In 2023, the forward McVeigh made first-team All-ACC, NFHCA All-America and NFHCA All-South Region, and was named the ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Year. Midfielder Curland made the 2023 All-ACC second team. Both players started all 23 games and are expected to have prevalent roles again this upcoming season. -Hill

Most anticipated matchup: vs. North Carolina Nov. 1

Last season, Duke nearly went unbeaten in its miraculous ACC season, only falling to North Carolina during the regular season and another loss against the Tar Heels in the ACC tournament final. Therefore, the most exciting matchup would definitely be this year’s edition of the Tobacco Road Rivalry Nov. 1 in Durham, where both programs are projected top 5 teams in the preseason poll. Indeed, the Blue Devils will hope to exact revenge after last season’s disappointing results, and playing at home would certainly give them an advantage over their nemesis. – Jun Tan

Best-case scenario

With quite a few important players returning to Duke’s roster this year, the Blue Devils are expected to achieve similar results to last season. Indeed, many fans would expect the Blue Devils to do well in the postseason, going deep into the ACC tournament as well as making the NCAA Final Four. If all players remain fit and play like they did last year, Bustin’s squad might clinch some hardware. -Tan

Worst-case scenario

The lackluster 2022 season is still fresh on some of the players’ memories, and Duke certainly does not want to end up with a losing record again. Nevertheless, with so many tough opponents in the Blue Devils’ conference play this year, a few slip-ups and tight match-ups could end their season early. For example, losing in the Round of 16 of the NCAA tournament would be constituted as a disappointing season. -Tan

Predictions

Tan: 12-4 (6-2 in the ACC), loss in ACC finals, loss in NCAA semifinals 

Olin: 11-5 (7-1 in ACC), loss in ACC finals, loss in NCAA finals

Hill: 12-4 (7-1 in ACC), loss in ACC finals, loss in NCAA finals 

Share and discuss “Duke field hockey 2024 season preview” on social media.