Longtime Duke women's soccer head coach Robbie Church announces retirement following 2024 season, Kieran Hall named replacement

Robbie Church has led Duke women's soccer for 23 years.

After 23 seasons at the helm, Robbie Church is ready for his swan song as head coach of the Blue Devils.

The Duke women’s soccer head coach announced Monday night that 2024 will be his final year of coaching. He will retire from the sport after a combined 38 years of experience on both the men’s and women’s sides that saw him accumulate a 476-261-80 record with 21 NCAA tournament visits. 

“I feel like the past 23 years I've been the luckiest person in the world,” Church said. “I coach at a university I love. I get out of bed every day and I go work with unbelievable student-athletes, coaches and staff and they're so fun to be around. It's been a great career and ride. I've enjoyed it, but like everything it must come to an end and I feel personally for myself, it's just time.”

Since he took over the program in 2001, Church led Duke to 20 NCAA tournament bids along with three College Cup appearances in 2011, 2015 and 2017. He was also tabbed as the ACC Coach of the Year in 2011 and 2017 while earning National Coach of the Year honors in 2011. He boasts six MAC Hermann Trophy finalists, along with coaching the 2022 winner Michelle Cooper. 

Church has coached 21 All-American finalists, 22 NWSL draft selections, 38 All-ACC honorees and 15 Academic All-America selections as well. He is the winningest coach in Blue Devil history with a 293-147-66 all-time record, leaving the program a national powerhouse.

“Heartfelt congratulations to Coach Church, Linda and their entire family on a truly remarkable coaching career,” Duke Director of Athletics Nina King said. “Robbie’s extraordinary impact on countless student-athletes across four-plus decades in collegiate soccer cannot be overstated, and Duke University has been the beneficiary of his commitment, drive and passion for the past 23 years.”

Church will be replaced by associate head coach Kieran Hall, who serves as the team’s associate head coach and enters his sixth season as a part of Duke’s program. Before joining the women’s staff for the past three years, he was a member of the Blue Devils’ men’s staff for three years. Hall will be the third head coach in women’s program history. 

“I am truly honored to be the next head coach of Duke women’s soccer,” Hall said. “I want to thank Nina King and Dr. Chris Kennedy. I am humbled by this incredible opportunity and the belief you have entrusted in me. I would also like to thank Robbie Church. I am deeply grateful for your invaluable mentorship, guidance and friendship. Because of this, I feel extremely well-prepared for this opportunity. We are excited about building upon the DWS legacy of developing strong leaders and competing for championships.”

Church’s time in charge is not up just yet. He is still committed to seeing his team through the 2024 season, with high hopes for his final year as a collegiate coach.

“Although I am retiring at the end of the season, I am so excited about this year,” Church said. “My retirement will start after our final match of the 2024 season and I hope that isn’t until December. I am all in this year and I'm excited about this team. I think we have great potential and we can be one of the best teams in the country. We have very lofty goals and we're going to start working next Tuesday on the field. We will work extremely hard and we will be all in and working towards our goals of winning championships.”

Mackenzie Sheehy profile
Mackenzie Sheehy | Blue Zone editor

Mackenzie Sheehy is a Trinity junior and associate editor for The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Longtime Duke women's soccer head coach Robbie Church announces retirement following 2024 season, Kieran Hall named replacement” on social media.