Duke in the NWSL: Former Blue Devils ramp up production as season progresses

Former Blue Devil Michelle Cooper has found success in the NWSL with the Kansas City Current.

With Duke in the offseason, several former Blue Devils have been competing in the NWSL. The Blue Zone takes a look at some alumni in the midst of their 2024 campaigns:

Tess Boade, Bay FC

After playing two years with the North Carolina Courage, Tess Boade moved out west to San Francisco as part of the NWSL’s expansion to join Bay FC. Since then, the Highlands Ranch, Colo., native has been a consistent force in the new team’s lineup. Starting 14 of 15 contests in the 2024 season, the midfielder and forward has played all 90 minutes in nine of those matches while captaining the squad in four. As a key cog in Bay FC’s offensive machine, Boade has been somewhat productive thus far. She has three goals to her name at this point in the season, the most recent of which came in a June 22 1-0 win against Angel City FC. Bolstered by her efforts, the former Blue Devil’s team currently sits in eighth in the NWSL standings, good enough to just barely make the playoffs. To more comfortably secure a spot in the postseason, greater production from Boade and others in Bay FC’s offense will be crucial as the regular play goes on.

Michelle Cooper, Kansas City Current

Despite starting the season on the bench due to injury, Michelle Cooper returned to action for the Kansas City Current in full force April 14. Since then, the Clarkston, Mich., native has seen a decent amount of playing time as she helps her first place team continue its remarkable unbeaten run. The 2022 MAC Hermann Trophy Winner is currently on a streak, starting all of her last six games for the Current. Cooper has one goal on the season thus far, scoring in a contest against Racing Louisville FC in a 3-3 tie to keep her team from tallying its first loss of the year. As Kansas City looks to continue its dominance across the league, Cooper’s nose for the goal will be crucial in maintaining solid offensive production for an edge above other competitive programs.

Lily Nabet, Angel City FC

In her third season in the NWSL, midfielder Lily Nabet finds herself with inconsistent playing time in the year’s first 15 games. After not seeing the field in the first three matches of the year, the Los Angeles, Calif., native has since started seven contests while coming on as a sub in another three. However, Nabet’s minutes for the Los Angeles-based squad have not yielded much. She only has three shots on the season — two of which were on target — with no goals or assists. As Angel City sits at 11th of 14 teams in league standings, players like Nabet will need to increase their production to help boost the team into playoff contention.

Quinn, Seattle Reign FC

Quinn started off the season strong, entering their seventh year in the NWSL starting two games for Seattle Reign FC and subbing in for another two. However, a knee injury sustained against the Courage April 27 sidelined the Toronto native for a month and a half. They finally returned to action and the starting lineup June 16 against the Portland Thorns, but only saw the field for 45 minutes. Quinn’s playing time continued to go up against Racing Louisville FC June 23, where they were on the pitch for nearly the entire contest. Yet the Canadian hasn’t put any real stats on the board, with no goals or assists so far. With Seattle currently sitting at second to last in the NWSL standings, Quinn’s return will hopefully provide a much-needed veteran presence and consistent offensive facilitator to salvage the Reign’s season.

Ella Stevens, NJ/NY Gotham FC

Forward Ella Stevens was traded to defending champions Gotham FC prior to the start of the 2024 season after playing with the Chicago Red Stars since 2020. However, she has quickly made the Big Apple her home with seven starts under her belt so far. Despite relatively little playing time to start the year, Stevens has been on a tear as of late. Between the months of May and June, the Grayson, Ga., native scored five goals, including two against Bay FC for a 2-0 win May 24. Her increased offensive production is coupled with a seeming increase in playing time as well. Stevens has also already beaten her goal total from last year, where she scored four across the entire 2023 season for the Red Stars. With the former Blue Devil in excellent offensive form, Gotham FC will likely use the forward to climb the league rankings from its current position of fourth on the leaderboard. If Stevens continues to show her offensive abilities, she may be able to help her team vie for the top spot in the NWSL.

Mackenzie Sheehy profile
Mackenzie Sheehy | Blue Zone editor

Mackenzie Sheehy is a Trinity sophomore and Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NWSL: Former Blue Devils ramp up production as season progresses” on social media.