Film room: Toby Fournier fills out women's roster with athleticism, versatility

The viral recruit brings both offensive and defensive prowess to Duke.

As Duke basketball fans continue to wait for the upcoming season, the Blue Zone is here to break down film from the new additions to both the men’s and women’s teams. We've already looked at Jenessa Cotton and Riley Nelson. Next up is Toby Fournier:

While head coach Kara Lawson will see nearly every player from last year’s roster returning, there was one noticeable gap to fill with centers Kennedy Brown and Camilla Emsbo both running out of eligibility at the end of the season. Fortunately for the Blue Devils, Lawson has brought in the talent she needs down low with the incoming freshman class. 

Toby Fournier was one of the most sought-after players in her class due to incredible athleticism. A 6-foot-2 forward, the Canadian was all over the internet after highlights showing her ability to dunk made the rounds, but it’s not just her ability to slam the ball down that make Fournier such an impressive addition to the Duke roster. That said, here is a highlight of her throwing it down, because it is quite the feat:

Beyond the dunking, Fournier’s ability to finish in traffic is what really stands out in her offensive game. Her vertical allows her to stay up and find the best possible angle on layups, and her touch around the rim is impressive for such a young player. Watch here as she fights through the contact for the bucket:

On the defensive end, Fornier is just as impressive. She is one of the best blockers in her class down low, perfect for a Duke group that has taken pride in its defensive since Lawson took over. Here, Fornier effortlessly goes up to knock away a ball down low: 

At the end of the day, Fournier has the potential to be a huge day-one impact for the Blue Devils. Her defensive and offensive versatility, combined with her athleticism, fit the archetype that Lawson has consistently sought out. She will gel nicely with other similar forwards like sophomores Jadyn Donovan and Delaney Thomas. You can look for her to play a big role early for the talented young squad. 

Share and discuss “Film room: Toby Fournier fills out women's roster with athleticism, versatility ” on social media.