Duke rowing hires Adrian Spracklen as next head coach

Adrian Spracklen will be the third coach in Duke rowing history.

Duke rowing has found its next leader. 

Adrian Spracklen, the former coach at Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pa., will be the third rowing coach in Blue Devil history. 

"I couldn't be more excited to lead the next chapter in the storied tradition of Duke Rowing," Spracklen said. "Duke's philosophy and culture resonate deeply with me, and I am confident in my ability to elevate the program and help it ascend the national rankings. The student-athletes are committed to excelling both academically and athletically, and Duke's genuine support for their drive to be the best is truly inspiring."

Spracklen replaces Megan Cooke Carcagno, who left Duke after nine years. Originally from Marlow, England, Spracklen graduated from Mercyhurst in 1990 and became the women's head coach just two years later. In 1998, he began leading the men's program as well. 

The Lakers have seen tremendous success in his tenure. The women's team has won three Division II National Championships, most recently in 2022. The men's team captured eight of the last 10 trophies at the Dad Vail Regatta — the largest collegiate regatta in the U.S. Spracklen earned Division II National Coach of the Year honors in 2004, 2009, 2010 and 2022.

Spracklen also has experience on the international stage. He coached the Women's Russian Olympic team in 2015-16, and has travelled around the world with Mercyhurst. As an athlete, he participated on the British National Team. 

"We are absolutely thrilled to welcome Coach Spracklen and his family to Duke University," King said. "His championship experience across multiple levels within the rowing landscape coupled with a steadfast commitment to the well-being of each student-athlete made him the ideal candidate for Duke. Coach Spracklen's knowledge, drive and passion, fueled by his well-documented family history, will be instrumental elements in the future successes of the young women in our program, both on and off the water."

Last season, Duke finished third in the ACC Championships and 16th at the NCAA Championships. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke rowing hires Adrian Spracklen as next head coach” on social media.