What will change this year for the Duke football gameday experience at Wallace Wade Stadium?

Duke football is planning multiple additions to the fan experience at Wallace Wade Stadium this season.

Duke football announced plans to gradually introduce a number of changes to the gameday atmosphere at Wallace Wade Stadium. This article will be updated as the team publicizes additional enhancements for the 2024 season leading up to the opening game Aug. 30 against Elon.

Rachel DeMita 

Duke brought in content creator and influencer Rachel DeMita to be the new social media gameday host. DeMita gained her large following as the host of her podcast, Courtside Club, which covers sports and pop culture including interviews with athletes and internet celebrities. 

After playing college basketball at Old Dominion, DeMita has reported for the NBA, Overtime, NBA 2KTV, Bleacher Report, CBS and more. With 1 million followers on Instagram and 303,000 subscribers on YouTube, Courtside Club has reached over 100 million viewers across platforms.

For Duke football, acquiring DeMita will be a big opportunity. Regarding the gameday experience, DeMita will attend every home game as the videoboard host and will appear on the team's social media. College football is the most profitable sport at Duke — even with basketball's popularity — and provides an incredible revenue stream for the university and its athletes. Although the Blue Devil football program does not yet have the same following as many schools, DeMita will assist Duke to grow its online presence and increase brand awareness, which could help land primetime games and attract recruits.

Devils Deck 

Duke also announced the Devils Deck, a new addition to Wallace Wade Stadium. Located in the horseshoe behind the north end zone, the section will offer all-you-can-eat food and non-alcoholic drinks, yard games, non-reservable seating, access to a bar and a DJ. For an additional $45 on top of admissions, roughly 1,500 fans can enjoy these unique amenities before and during the game with great views of the field.

“I saw from afar last season how a great atmosphere can impact games at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium,” head coach Manny Diaz said. “This year, we wanted to take our gameday experience to a new level. With the addition of the Devils Deck, fans get access to an exclusive fun tailgating atmosphere, while still being inside the stadium to watch the game.”

While there is a discounted rate for students — $35 for entry — the new addition is likely targeted at alumni and the wider Durham community to drive attendance from a group that accounts for the vast majority of the stadium's capacity. With the development, the Blue Devils will try to capitalize on the momentum from student incentives — including free customized jerseys and cash prize giveaways — that have filled the student section in the last two years.

The renovations will decrease the official capacity of Wallace Wade Stadium from 40,004 to 35,018. In doing so, the program is hoping that the excitement of the Devils Deck will cause more Blue Devil fans to fill the stadium throughout the 2024 season and offset the seating loss.

Secondary logo

Duke football introduced a new secondary logo Aug. 5 meant to highlight the connection between the team and its home city of Durham. The logo depicts the Blue Devil making the “Bull City” hand gesture that has become commonplace for fans at sporting events. The Blue Devils’ headband reads “Bull City,” a nickname for Durham that dates back to the city’s rich industrial history. “Bull” Durham Tobacco was the name of Blackwell Tobacco’s product, an ode to Durham, England’s mustard product with a bull on its logo

“We are thrilled to launch our new mark which pays homage to our hometown nickname, Bull City,” Athletic Director Nina King said. “We thought [of] no better time than now, right before kickoff and our annual Durham Day celebration, to showcase on local, regional and national levels the pride Duke has in being a part of Bull City.”

Duke announced that the new logo will be featured on campus, at Brooks Field and in Durham this fall through robust marketing campaigns and merchandise. By fostering a sense of connectivity between the city and the team, Duke is showing its efforts to drive attendance from the wider Durham community, necessary for filling up Wallace Wade Stadium and creating a vibrant gameday atmosphere. 

New pregame and in-stadium spaces

Club Blue Devil on Tribull Plaza 

Located between Cameron Indoor Stadium and the Duke Team Store, Tribull Plaza is a space for fans to enjoy the gameday atmosphere. The new addition, called Club Blue Devil, will feature a mobile video board displaying other college football games, along with additional food and drink options for fans. This opens three hours before kickoff. 

A rotating set of DJs — known cleverly as the “Devil’s Advocates” — will perform a set at Club Blue Devil prior to each home game. These DJs will continue their music at the aforementioned Devils Deck during the game. This is the list of DJs and a link to their websites. 

Elon, Aug. 30 – DJ Glory

UConn, Sept. 14 – DJ Yona

North Carolina, Sept. 28 – Jonas Blue

Florida State, Oct. 18 –  Lost Kings

SMU, Oct. 26 – Angelo The Kid

Virginia Tech, Nov. 23 – DJ Fannie Mae

Bull City Huddle and Blue Devil Backyard

Inside the stadium, the Bull City Huddle and Blue Devil Backyard allow fans to socialize until kickoff and throughout the game. 

The Bull City Huddle, behind sections 13 and 14, is focused on commemorating Durham. The center of the spaces will feature a specialized Duke football piece by local artist Gabriel Eng-Goetz.  

The Blue Devil Backyard has lawn games in a shaded environment behind sections 19 and 20. This is open until the end of the game, so fans can eat and sit down outside the traditional seating area during the contest. 

Both the Devils Gate tailgate and Jr. Blue Devils Skills Challenge will return from last season. 

Share and discuss “What will change this year for the Duke football gameday experience at Wallace Wade Stadium?” on social media.