CULTURE  |  TV

Football is life: a look back at the iconic Ted Lasso series

<p>Courtesy of Apple TV</p>

Courtesy of Apple TV

It’s been just over a year since the grand finale of “Ted Lasso” aired on Apple TV, yet many of the show’s iconic moments still resonate with me today. In a world where countless people struggle in the pursuit of happiness and success, I think it is wise to review this iconic feel-good series and explain how we can use its comedic wisdom in our daily lives. 

This review is inspired by my summer roommate’s suggestion that we watch the pilot episode as a way to ease our mutual boredom. Since then, we have done an episode a day, and the role this show has had in our growing friendship is simply a testament to the immense impact it has on its audience. 

To quote the character Dani Rojas, “Football is life.” To its viewers, however, “Ted Lasso” depicts a reflection of our own lives in ways we have never imagined possible.

The story of “Ted Lasso” starts with a seemingly absurd premise: an American college football coach hired to manage a professional European football team in the English Premier League, despite knowing nothing about the sport. He must learn the proper ways of soccer – excuse me,  football — while developing meaningful relationships with the new people in his life and leading his team to success. Throughout the series, Ted constantly encourages his team with his humorous charisma and unceasing optimism. In doing so, he gives us what are among the best pieces of life advice: 

“Be curious, not judgmental.”
“Success is not about the wins and losses. It’s about helping these young fellas be the best versions of themselves, on and off the field.”
“Every day is a chance to be better than we were the day before.”
And my favorite: “You know what the happiest animal on Earth is? It’s a goldfish. You know why? Got a 10-second memory. Be a goldfish, Sam.”

Ted’s overwhelming enthusiasm and infectious personality aren’t the only reasons that he’s one of the most likable characters in television history. More importantly, he genuinely cares so much about everyone else and the fact that, deep down, he too is only human. In Season Two particularly, we see the vulnerable side of Ted, including his struggles with mental health and occasional panic attacks (including one in the middle of a big game). The showrunners’ portrayal of such an imperfect yet relatable protagonist emphasizes the fact that it is perfectly okay to feel down sometimes as we navigate life’s many challenges. Moreover, we should always embrace the support from our friends and families during these difficult times.

Just as important to the show’s greatness are the many wonderful character arcs throughout its run. Although Ted himself hasn’t changed very much by the end of the series, his impact on those around him is immense. In Season One, captain Roy Kent goes from struggling with the burden of leadership to giving up the armband and retiring for the good of the team. Colin, a player mostly used for comedic relief in the first two seasons, gets the screen time he deserved in Season Three as we see him face the challenge of embracing his own identity. Even Jamie Tartt, perhaps the most selfish and narcissistic player Ted has ever coached, finally finds his place as a team player through an amazing redemption story. 

Apart from its overarching messages of overcoming obstacles and being kind to others, “Ted Lasso” also offers many other nuggets of conventional wisdom applicable to our daily lives. One episode explores club owner Rebecca gathering up her courage to apologize to Ted, who immediately forgives her, demonstrating that we should always own our mistakes and seek reconciliation. In another episode focusing on Roy not giving enough space to Keeley in their relationship, I was gently reminded that it was okay to take a break from texting someone I really liked. The list goes on, proving that “Ted Lasso” is very much more than just a feel-good show. 

Indeed, the cinematography of “Ted Lasso'' excellently complements its writing. This is especially apparent in its more emotional scenes, where the camera zooms in on the characters to capture their facial expressions to the fullest extent with some stunning visuals. Moreover, the show expertly recreates an entire football stadium and all the fans in the crowd, giving us an eerily accurate representation of the proper football game atmosphere. 

Similarly, the music of “Ted Lasso'', written by Marcus Mumford and Tim Howe, helps bring the show to life. The title and theme song have since become iconic and instantly recognizable – I even used it as my wake-up alarm for an entire semester. The soundtrack is generally playful, adding to ever-present humor throughout the show. Yet it occasionally delves into more emotional depths, allowing the audience to connect more deeply with the characters' inner lives. Finally, the show’s occasional use of well-known songs adds a layer of relatability and nostalgia: classic hits from artists like The Beatles and Kenny Rogers are strategically placed to evoke specific emotions and memories. One memorable example was the introduction of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” during the Season One finale, underscoring the show’s themes of solidarity and perseverance despite the devastating setback Ted’s team just suffered. 

Overall, “Ted Lasso” is a testament to the power of positivity, kindness and resilience. It reminds us that even in the face of adversity, maintaining an optimistic outlook and fostering genuine connections with others can lead to extraordinary outcomes. The series' success lies in its ability to balance humor and heart, creating a narrative that is as uplifting as it is entertaining. With its remarkable cinematography and its emotional soundtrack, “Ted Lasso” goes far beyond being just a television show about football: it is a cultural phenomenon that has touched the hearts of many, leaving a lasting impact with its messages of hope and humanity.

Share and discuss “Football is life: a look back at the iconic Ted Lasso series” on social media.