Duke community to lose free access to GoTriangle bus rides through GoPass program, GoDurham remains free for year

Duke community members will lose access to unlimited free rides on GoTriangle buses as the University’s participation in the GoPass program pauses Monday.

The change comes as GoTriangle, which administers bus routes covering Durham, Orange and Wake counties, ends its COVID-era fare-free ridership program. GoDurham buses, however, will remain free for at least one more year.

“Duke Parking and Transportation Services is in discussions with GoTriangle regarding the future of the GoPass program, which aligns with the University’s broader Climate Commitment and support of alternative transportation options for the community,” wrote Duke Parking and Transportation in a statement on the office's website.

Users who sign up for the fare-paying app Umo can continue to use the service for free until July 31.

GoTriangle originally suspended fares during the COVID-19 pandemic “to help protect [its] staff and riders,” according to the GoTriangle website. Federal funding for public transportation provided through the 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act is no longer available to support the service, which led the GoTriangle Board of Trustees to vote in February in favor of resuming fare collection.

Regular fares will be set at $2.50, with a discounted fare of $1.25 available to users with disabilities. Children under 12 can ride for free.

Certain GoPass holders can use benefit codes to ride GoTriangle buses for free after the policy change. The waived fee applies to youth ages 13 to 18 with parental consent, seniors ages 65 and older, and Transit Assistant Pass holders. 

Transit Assistant Passes are available to riders ages 19 to 64 who qualify for Medicare or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits or have an annual household income below $35,000.

Riders can pay their fare by either using the Umo mobile app or a $5 GoPass Umo Card obtained at the GoTriangle Regional Transit Center’s Pass Sales Office. Riders can also pay in cash with exact change.

GoTriangle is rolling back another COVID-era policy July 1, asking riders to resume boarding from the front of the bus instead of at the back.

GoDurham staying free

Durham City Council announced in April that GoDurham buses would remain fare-free for another year thanks to leftover grant funding. The budget was approved June 17 with funds allocated through June 30, 2025.

However, the service’s long-term future remains uncertain.

“We do have to acknowledge that it’s going to take a little bit more work next year when we run out of that emergency money,” said City Council Member Chelsea Cook.

Cook also noted that 87% of GoDurham users live in households with an annual income of less than $35,000.

“A lot of the folks who are riding the bus are riding the bus because that is their only source of transportation and their only method of getting around town,” she said.

Duke Parking and Transportation encourages members of the Duke community to “explore alternative transportation options” for their commute. In addition to the GoPass program, the office offers carpool and vanpool services and advocates for walking to campus or pursuing flexible work options, such as working remotely.

Zoe Kolenovsky profile
Zoe Kolenovsky | News Editor

Zoe Kolenovsky is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke community to lose free access to GoTriangle bus rides through GoPass program, GoDurham remains free for year” on social media.