Los Angeles Lakers hire former Duke men's basketball player JJ Redick as next head coach

<p>JJ Redick played for the Blue Devils under head coach Mike Krzyzewski between 2002 and 2006.</p>

JJ Redick played for the Blue Devils under head coach Mike Krzyzewski between 2002 and 2006.

Duke’s all-time leading scorer is joining the professional ranks as a coach. 

The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly hiring JJ Redick to be their next head coach, per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The team confirmed the announcement June 24. 

The deal is a four-year hire that will be Redick’s first coaching experience in the collegiate or professional ranks. He played 15 years in the NBA for six teams, including the Orlando Magic and the Los Angeles Clippers. Following his NBA career, Redick was an ESPN NBA analyst who called this year’s NBA Finals alongside Mike Breen and Doris Burke. 

With the Blue Devils, Redick was the National Player of the Year in 2006 and a two-time ACC Player of the Year. His No. 4 jersey is retired in the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

Redick and current Laker Lebron James co-host the podcast “Mind the Game,” which provides in-depth analysis on the X’s and O’s of basketball. However, James was reportedly not involved with the coaching search. 

The Roanoke, Va., native will be the third coach for Los Angeles in five years, taking over for Darwin Ham, who was fired in May. Redick joins Hawks coach Quin Snyder as former Duke basketball products who are active NBA coaches. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Los Angeles Lakers hire former Duke men's basketball player JJ Redick as next head coach” on social media.