Duke in the NBA Finals: Tatum wins his first ring, Lively and Irving unable to find their rhythm

Former Blue Devil Jayson Tatum led the Celtics to their first championship since 2008.

With the NBA Finals now complete and the Boston Celtics crowned as champions, the Blue Zone takes one final look at former Blue Devils playing at the highest level:

Tatum makes history as Celtics win 18th championship

After a year of dominance, Jayson Tatum was able to close out the season as strong as one could ask for and lead his team to hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy. His strong closeout performance was defined by an impressive 31 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds, doing a little bit of everything in the Celtics’ 18-point win. The 2017 No. 3 pick was notably unselfish with the ball in his hands — he actively trusted the wealth of talent around him and made the right reads, allowing him to log nine assists and zero turnovers in the first half. Although his deep ball wasn’t falling — he made just one of seven attempts from behind the arc — Tatum found efficient scoring on the interior going 10-of-17 on two-point attempts paired with a perfect eight-of-eight from the line. 

The St. Louis native had previously stumbled in game four, where he found just 15 points on a rough 40 percent performance from the field. Though struggles in the early games meant that Tatum ultimately did not win Finals MVP, he led the Celtics in playoff points, rebounds and assists — making him just the sixth player in NBA history to lead a championship team in all three categories. The Duke product’s win in game five earned him his first ring in just his second trip to the NBA Finals and his seventh season in the league.

Irving fights back, unable to stay hot

It was an overall lackluster finals performance for the 2011 No. 1 pick. Though his success throughout the postseason with Luka Doncic at his side earned the duo media acclaim as one of the NBA’s best backcourt duos, Kyrie Irving wasn’t able to keep the run alive when met with elimination in Boston. He put up a solid effort in game four, scoring 21 points on 58.3 true shooting en route to a 38-point blowout that prevented the series sweep. When he stepped foot in TD Garden, however, that touch seemed to be lost. Irving struggled to score on all levels, going just 5-of-16 from the floor. Boston’s elite defensive guards Jrue Holiday and Derrick White locked down the perimeter and outsized Irving, consistently limiting his shot selection to low-percentage looks. Although not the end of the season he may have hoped for, Irving has a bright future in Dallas surrounded by young talent to support his veteran skill set. 

Lively records consecutive double-doubles

With his 11 points and 12 rebounds in game four, Dereck Lively II became the first rookie since Magic Johnson to record consecutive double-doubles in the NBA finals. Lively energized the Mavericks with his seven offensive rebounds in just 22 minutes and efficient scoring centered around the rim, going 4-of-5 from the floor. The 2023 lottery pick also registered his first made 3-pointer of his NBA career, a clean shot from the corner that highlighted the rookie center’s sound mechanics and had the American Airlines Center jumping. Unfortunately for Lively, he was unable to crack the Celtics’ defense in game five. His box score was left rather empty after 24 minutes of action as he only managed to gather two points and four rebounds while also committing five fouls and a turnover. The bright lights of a finals appearance and Boston’s commitment to shutting down the lob threat certainly appeared to have the Mavericks’ rookie shaken for the brunt of the series. However, Lively’s defensive leadership and intensity on the glass will remain invaluable heading into his sophomore year.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA Finals: Tatum wins his first ring, Lively and Irving unable to find their rhythm” on social media.