Duke men's basketball's Cooper Flagg chosen for USA Select Team

Cooper Flagg is the first college player on the USA Select team since 2013.

Duke's top recruit is going up against the best this summer. 

Cooper Flagg, the No. 1 prospect in the class of 2024, was chosen for the USA Basketball Select Team Friday. The team trains alongside the U.S. Men's National Team to prepare them for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. 

Flagg is the lone collegiate player on the roster, and is the first player from college chosen since Doug McDermott and Marcus Smart in 2013. 

The Newport, Maine, native has made headlines since high school, and recently participated in a scrimmage with the rest of the 2024-25 Blue Devils. The 6-foot-8 power forward reclassified from the 2025 class, and is still 17 years old. 

Flagg joins NBA, NBA G-League and International players on the team. The full roster contains Jalen Duren, Langston Galloway, Nigel Hayes-Davis, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Jaime Jaquez Jr., Brandon Miller, Trey Murphy, Keegan Murray, Brandin Podziemski, Micah Potter, Payton Pritchard, Jabari Smith Jr., Jalen Suggs and Amen Thompson. The squad is coached by current Orlando Magic head coach Jamahl Mosley. 

Duke's Shane Battier, Brandon Ingram, Kyrie Irving and Mason Plumlee were all previously on the Select Team before joining the U.S. Olympic Team. 

"As a former member of the USA Select Team, I know how important and fun this opportunity is for each of these players," said Grant Hill, managing director for the USA Basketball Men's National Team. "There is a tremendous amount of talent on this Select squad with the significant job of helping the 2024 USA Men's National Team as they begin their journey to the Olympics. Each of these athletes will play a role in our preparation as we also develop the national team pipeline for the future."

The USA Basketball Select Team will train with the USA Men's National Team in Las Vegas July 6-8. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Cooper Flagg chosen for USA Select Team” on social media.