The Chronicle's 2024 NBA mock draft

Jared McCain (middle) and Kyle Filipowski (right) were invited to the NBA draft green room.

Two Duke standouts, Jared McCain and Kyle Filipowski, will await their selections Wednesday and Thursday evening for the 2024 NBA draft in Brooklyn, N.Y. The Chronicle's sports staff is here with some predictions on the lottery picks and future destinations for the Blue Devils. 

Ranjan Jindal

V. 120 Sports Editor

Duke picks:

Jared McCain: Portland Trail Blazers, 14th overall

I can only imagine that teams continue to fall in love with Jared McCain in the pre-draft process, and his work ethic and attitude will instantly be a welcome sign on an NBA roster. I think McCain can sneak his way into the end of the lottery, and I have him going to the Trail Blazers at No. 14 for a couple reasons. If Portland gets Donovan Clingan at No. 7, then they can use the 14th pick to fill a hole for one of their biggest weaknesses — 3-point shooting. The Blazers were the worst deep shooting team in the NBA last season at 34.5%. While their guard room was bolstered by Scoot Henderson last year, his shot is a work-in-progress. McCain provides an immediate shooting threat who can also develop alongside a rebuilding team with his energy.

Kyle Filipowski: New York Knicks, 25th overall

There is a really wide range where Filipowski could land, and some predictions have him falling out of the first round. I think that with the right coaching and mentorship, Filipowski could be a really good NBA player. He has the tools: post moves, shooting range and fairly good vision. I think the biggest hurdle for Filipowski is the mental aspect of the league. His growth in that area is to be determined, but the spacing of the NBA fits Filipowski’s game nicely.

As far as the team, I put him going to New York with the 25th pick. The Knicks have two back-to-back picks, and there are signs that they might trade one of them. Nonetheless, Filipowski would give the Knicks some versatility and a different look than their other bigs at the moment. As I was finishing writing this, the Knicks reportedly added Mikal Bridges, so they probably will need another big. Additionally, Filipowski is a solid rebounder, which head coach Tom Thibodeau would want.  

The lottery:

1. Atlanta Hawks — Zaccharie Risacher, JL Bourg-en-Bresse
  2. Washington Wizards — Alexander Sarr, Perth Wildcats
  3. Houston Rockets — Reed Sheppard, Kentcuky
  4. San Antonio Spurs — Stephon Castle, UConn
  5. Detroit Pistons — Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
  6. Charlotte Hornets — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee
  7. Portland Trail Blazers — Donovan Clingan, UConn
  8. Toronto (to San Antonio) — Tidjane Salaun, Cholet Basket
  9. Memphis Grizzlies — Cody Williams, Colorado
  10. Utah Jazz — Ron Holland, G League Ignite
  11. Chicago Bulls — Devin Carter, Providence
  12. Houston (to Oklahoma City) — Nikola Topic, KK Crvena Zvezda
  13. Sacramento Kings — Zach Edey, Purdue
  14. Golden State (to Portland) — Jared McCain, Duke

Dom Fenoglio

V. 120 Sports Managing Editor

Duke picks:

Jared McCain: Philadelphia 76ers, 16th overall 

I think McCain could be a great fit for any of the teams picking from 12th overall (the Thunder) to 18th overall (the Magic), and I have the freshman sensation going right in the middle of the range to the Sixers. His strong shooting and willingness to crash the defensive boards make him a dream get for teams looking to add a reliable depth piece to compliment already talented rosters, and McCain could fit nicely in Philadelphia alongside All-Stars Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxey. Shooting guard Kyle Lowry is currently an unrestricted free agent, and the 76ers may look to get younger at that position. While McCain does not provide an abundance of height, he is a willing defender and would slot in nicely as an off ball option for Maxey and Embiid.

Kyle Filipowski: Boston Celtics, 30th overall

Filipowski’s draft range is as wide as anyone's, as the Second Team All-American could go as high as 12th to the Thunder or slip to the second round if a few teams pass on him at the end of the first. However, I think Filipowski’s size and shooting will attract enough attention from a few key contenders at the back half of the first round. If it isn’t the Denver Nuggets — who may be looking for a backup to superstar center Nikola Jokic — then I think it will be the Celtics who take the Duke sophomore. As talented as Boston’s roster is, its biggest question marks are in the frontcourt, where Al Horford is aging and there are still doubts about Kristaps Porzingis’ ability to remain healthy. Filipowski fits the mold that the Celtics seem to want out of their big men: He can space the floor, contest shots at the rim and create one-on-one opportunities. It may take all night for the second Blue Devil to come off the board, but he would surely be pleased playing for the newly crowned NBA Champions.

The lottery:

1. Atlanta Hawks — Alexander Sarr, Perth Wildcats
  2. Washington Wizards — Zaccharie Risacher, JL Bourg-en-Bresse
  3. Houston Rockets — Stephon Castle, UConn
  4. San Antonio Spurs — Reed Sheppard, Kentcuky
  5. Detroit Pistons — Donovan Clingan, UConn
  6. Charlotte Hornets — Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
  7. Portland Trail Blazers — Rob Dillingham, Kentucky
  8. Toronto (to San Antonio) — Nikola Topic, KK Crvena Zvezda
  9. Memphis Grizzlies — Ron Holland II, G League Ignite
  10. Utah Jazz — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee
  12. Houston (to Oklahoma City) — Ja’Kobe Walter, Baylor
  14. Golden State (to Portland) — Tristan Da Silva, Colorado

Sophie Levenson

V. 120 Sports Managing Editor

Duke picks:

Jared McCain: Sacramento Kings, 13th overall

For McCain to go home would be so fitting. The energetic star would be the perfect addition to a young team like Sacramento, just as he was for Scheyer’s budding group. With De’Aaron Fox running the Kings at point and Domantas Sabonis leading the frontcourt, McCain would fit in nicely with his sharp-shooting right arm.

A 13th overall pick errs on the high side for the 20-year-old, but McCain’s play at the tail end of Duke’s season arguably out-performed the hype he garnered as an incoming rookie. His level headedness in moments of intensity — McCain dealt with high pressure well for a freshman — may also increase his draft stock, especially for an organization like Sacramento’s, where high energy and stamina will be necessary in order to move the postseason past the first round.  

Kyle Filipowski: Washington Wizards, 26th overall

The Wizards already have two Duke basketball players, and Filipowski is, in many ways, a textbook one. The Westtown, N.Y., native could bring an extra body to the power forward depth chart, especially useful for Washington looking to build its interior. Filipowski certainly has the size to help out a team like this, and the consistency, too. He’s the kind of guy who can, for the most part, play a steady role for a team that needs a hand down low, particularly in the rebounding world.

After taking Risacher second overall, the Wizards will have their priority choice out of the way, leaving them room to take advantage of a guy like Filipowski, whose presence could really only improve their rebuilding prospects for the upcoming season.

The lottery:

1. Atlanta Hawks — Stephon Castle, UConn
  3. Houston Rockets — Alexandre Sarr, Perth Wildcats
  4. San Antonio Spurs — Matas Buzelis, G-League Ignite
  5. Detroit Pistons — Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
  6. Charlotte Hornets — Donovan Clingan, UConn
  7. Portland Trail Blazers — Tidjane Salaun, Cholet Basket
  8. Toronto (to San Antonio) — Tristan Da Silva, Colorado
  9. Memphis Grizzlies — Devin Carter, Providence
  11. Chicago Bulls — Carlton Carrington, Pittsburgh
  12. Houston (to Oklahoma City) — Zach Edey, Purdue
  13. Sacramento Kings — Jared McCain, Duke
  14. Golden State (to Portland) — Ron Holland II, G League Ignite

Martin Heintzelman

V. 120 Blue Zone Editor

Duke picks:

Jared McCain: Orlando Magic, 18th overall

Last year, the Magic were not a particularly strong shooting team. In fact, they were one of the worst in the league by most metrics. They’re an exciting, youthful squad led by a bright young star in fellow Duke alum Paolo Banchero, but the inability to score with any meaningful volume from behind the arc held them back down the stretch. That is exactly what McCain brings to the table. 

He was one of the better high-volume shooters in college basketball, with just enough touch on the inside to pose a threat. On a team with most of the puzzle already put together, the Californian could be the missing piece. While he could go much higher, I think he’ll fall to No. 18 where the Magic will be waiting for him. Look for him to be a key part of a deeper run in the playoffs for Orlando this season. 

Kyle Filipowski: Utah Jazz, 29th overall

To be frank, I don't think Filipowski will be a superstar in the NBA. He was a very good player at the college level and served as an offensive focal point all year long, but besides his height, I don’t think most of his game will translate all that well. He is likely going to struggle against taller, stronger NBA bigs as he did against some of the beefier bigs at the college level. 

That said, he certainly has an upside. Filipowski's ability to stretch the floor meaningfully in combination with his height will make him attractive to a team towards the back half of the first round just looking for a solid, proven player who could easily slot into a consistent bench role. The Jazz, looking to continue their rebuild, could find Filipowski attractive as a solid early producer. 

The lottery:

3. Houston Rockets — Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
  8. Toronto (to San Antonio) — Rob Dillingham, Kentucky
  9. Memphis Grizzlies — Nikola Topic, KK Crvena Zvezda
  10. Utah Jazz — Devin Carter, Providence
  11. Chicago Bulls — Cody Williams, Colorado
  12. Houston (to Oklahoma City) — Tidjane Salaun, Cholet Basket
  13. Sacramento Kings — Tristan da Silva, Colorado
  14. Golden State (to Portland) — Ja’Kobe Walter, Baylor

Rodrigo Amare

V. 120 Blue Zone Editor

Duke picks:

McCain’s draft stock rose dramatically during the late stretch of Duke’s season as the Sacramento native established himself as one of the best 3-point shooters in college basketball. Concerns about his subpar height for an off-ball guard remain, but the NBA’s ever increasing focus on 3-point shooting should make McCain an attractive option as a middle-to-late first round pick. The 2024 All-ACC Rookie Team selection may not project as a 20-plus points per game scorer, but his style of play could make him an essential role player for teams looking for more options beyond the arc. The Orlando Magic are one of the brightest young teams in the NBA, and happen to be in the need of a tenacious spot-up shooter after finishing 26th of 30 in 3-point percentage last season. Pairing McCain with young superstar and former Blue Devil Paolo Banchero could be the key to transforming Orlando from a promising young team to a genuine championship contender.  

Kyle Filipowski: Denver Nuggets, 28th overall

Filipowski was arguably Duke’s best player during his two years in Durham. However, NBA scouts seem skeptical of whether his game will translate to the pro level, with the major concern being the Westtown, N.Y., native’s unspectacular athleticism. While Filipowski combined his stellar footwork and elite finishing to devastate defenses in college, his post skills alone may not be enough to consistently score past stronger, taller, and more athletically gifted centers. For many of the same reasons, questions remain about the 2024 Second Team All-American’s potential weaknesses as a post defender. 

Despite these limitations, Filipowski’s versatility and shot-making ability at the center position make him a safe bet for teams looking for more depth in the front court and unwilling to take a risk on a less polished prospect. As such, I think the former Blue Devil will find a suitor in the late first round with a team ready to compete in need of a plug-and-play option at the five. With the Denver Nuggets, Filipowski could serve as a reliable backup to reigning MVP Nikola Jokic. The two-time All-ACC selection possesses many of the same basic traits as the Serbian superstar, which would allow Denver to run many of the same offensive schemes when Jokic needs to rest on the bench. What’s more, Filipowski could find no better potential mentor than the three-time NBA MVP. 

The lottery:

7. Portland Trail Blazers — Cody Williams, Colorado
  8. Toronto (to San Antonio) — Devin Carter, Providence
  9. Memphis Grizzlies — Dalton Knecht, Tennessee
  11. Chicago Bulls — Rob Dillingham, Kentucky
  13. Sacramento Kings — Ja’Kobe Walker, Baylor
  14. Golden State (to Portland) — Nikola Topic, KK Crvena Zvezda

Dom Fenoglio | Sports Managing Editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity junior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Sophie Levenson profile
Sophie Levenson | Sports Managing Editor

Sophie Levenson is a Trinity junior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Rodrigo Amare

Rodrigo Amare is a Trinity sophomore and assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Martin Heintzelman profile
Martin Heintzelman

Martin Heintzelman is a Trinity junior and Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's 2024 NBA mock draft” on social media.