Duke vs. UNC preview: Frontcourt

The frontcourt duo of Kyle Filipowski (30) and Dereck Lively II (1) during a win in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

As this year’s first edition of the Tobacco Road rivalry approaches, the Blue Zone looks at each of the positional battles between Duke and North Carolina prior to Saturday night. Previously, we looked at the benches, backcourts and wings. Finally, here is the frontcourt:

While plenty of talent will step on Coach K Court inside Cameron Indoor Stadium Saturday night in this storied Duke-North Carolina rivalry, the contest will likely come down to one thing: the performance of the frontcourts. Both teams have incredible guards with some of the best shooting talent in the country, but the best players for each squad can be found in the paint. With such star-power set for a collision, Cameron Indoor will quickly become a battlefield.

Duke’s play in the frontcourt has been its calling card all season long. With elite talent abound, the Blue Devils have earned victories by aggressive and relentless effort in the key. From show-stopping dunks to smooth layups, the forwards have given fans a show week in and week out. However, one player has defined Duke’s frontcourt: freshman Kyle Filipowski.

A five-star recruit ranked No. 4 overall in the class of 2022, the Westtown, N.Y., native has been more than head coach Jon Scheyer could have ever hoped for. A seven-time ACC Rookie of the Week award winner, the 7-foot center has been the engine of this Blue Devil squad. Earning double-digit points in nearly every game thus far, Filipowski is the key to Duke’s offense with his effortless playmaking and elite shooting from anywhere on the court. If the Blue Devils needed someone to step up and make buckets, he was the guy. When Duke desperately needed a win against Pittsburgh, Filipowski put the team on his back, notching a then-career-high 28 points to earn the comeback win. Junior Jeremy Roach may be the captain, but the freshman is undoubtedly a leader any time he steps on the hardwood.

His stat sheet speaks for itself, further emphasizing Filipowski’s influence. Leading the Blue Devils with 15.8 points and 9.5 rebounds a game, he became the first freshman in program history to record a double-double in his first three games in a Duke jersey. As if that were not impressive enough, he leads all NCAA freshmen with 11 double-doubles while also leading all power conference freshmen in rebounding. Determined to continue breaking history, the center also scored in double figures in the first 12 games of the season. If Filipowski shows up to Cameron Indoor ready to play, North Carolina should be afraid of the damage he can do.

The freshman phenom will be joined in the frontcourt by a fellow classmate of his in Dereck Lively II. By many accounts, Lively was supposed to be the headliner of this Duke squad. Coming into the program as the No. 2 player in the class of 2022, the 7-foot-1 center was named the ACC Preseason Rookie of the Year while also earning nods to watchlists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabaar Center of the Year Award, the Naismith Trophy and the Wooden Award. Despite not quite living up to expectations in that regard, Lively will still be a formidable force against the Tar Heels Saturday. 

The freshman is a huge asset on defense with his towering frame and imposing wingspan. Leading the Blue Devils with two blocks a game, Lively has the ability to disrupt passing lanes and prevent shooters in the paint from getting clean looks. On the offensive side of the court, the Philadelphia native strikes fear in the hearts of opponents. Nearly every time he goes above the basket, defenders are helpless as he flies in for the dunk. Averaging 4.4 points per game, Lively continues to improve with each passing week. Coupled with the talents of Filipowski, the duo is sure to put on a show in front of the Cameron Crazies. 

Unfortunately for Duke, North Carolina’s frontcourt is formidable. Once more, the Tar Heels turned to the transfer portal to fill out their already-stacked starting lineup and find a partner for senior center Armando Bacot. They found their match in graduate student Pete Nance, who joined the North Carolina squad after playing four years with the Blue Devils’ Ryan Young at Northwestern. With his skill and experience as a big man, Nance’s 6-foot-11 frame allows him to be dominant in the paint while also facilitating the Tar Heels’ offensive unit. For the Wildcats, he developed to be an elite passer, which undoubtedly continues with his new team.

He may not be the flashy player that Bacot is, but he pulls his weight on the court. Averaging 11 points per game, the Akron, Ohio native also makes 1.2 3-pointers a game while contributing 5.9 rebounds and 0.9 blocks. With his 28-point performance in a win against Portland, Nance has the ability to make an impact on big games with his level-headed play and unmatched toughness.

The fifth-year, nonetheless, will not be the biggest of Duke’s problems Saturday. That title is reserved for none other than Bacot. Every Blue Devil fan still feels the weight of his 23 points that helped hand former head coach Mike Krzyzewski a loss in his final home game, and Bacot would love nothing more than to reign on Duke’s parade once more. To add salt to the wounds of Blue Devil fans everywhere, the Richmond, Va., native has only gotten better with age. In his fourth year in a North Carolina uniform, Bacot leads the team with 17.7 points, 11.4 rebounds and 1.1 blocks a game. On either end of the court, he will be a thorn in Duke’s side. On offense, his 6-foot-11 frame allows him to be a lethal low-post scorer. Defensively, he is just as much of a weapon—his tremendous rebounding abilities and propensity for shot blocking are a scary combination.

On top of his high basketball IQ, Bacot is making waves in the ACC and nationally. Ranked third in scoring and first in rebounding in the conference, the senior is a premier talent and genuine problem for ACC opponents. Even more impressive, he is currently fourth in the nation for rebounds per game. The Tar Heels have plenty of talent on the court, but Bacot should be a primary concern if the Blue Devils want to see benches burn Saturday night.

Two leading scorers. Two elite rebounders. Two stars in the making. Bacot versus Filipowski. Lively versus Nance. The Cameron Crazies better be ready for a show. 

Mackenzie Sheehy profile
Mackenzie Sheehy | Blue Zone editor

Mackenzie Sheehy is a Trinity junior and associate editor for The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. UNC preview: Frontcourt” on social media.