X-Factor: Matthew Hurt will need to establish himself offensively against undersized Bellarmine

Hurt is averaging 16.5 points and 10 rebounds per contest through two games.

Coming off a frustrating loss to Michigan State, the Blue Devils turn their attention to a date with Bellarmine. The Blue Zone has you ready for the action with a player to look out for on both sides Friday:

Duke: Forward Matthew Hurt

Coming off a solid performance against Michigan State Tuesday night, sophomore forward Matthew Hurt looks to duplicate his performance in the Mako Medical Duke Classic. The Rochester, Minnesota native possesses the size, skills and shooting ability to dominate this game from tip-off. Formerly ranked the No. 11 overall player in the class of 2019 by ESPN, Hurt’s ability to be a post presence and shoot from the outside, at a clip of 39.3 percent last season, makes him a mismatch for most opposing big men. In addition to being able to space the floor, the starting forward has already begun to remind viewers of his ability to take defenders off the dribble.

Against the undersized Knights, the Blue Devils should look to exploit Hurt’s significant height advantage. In their first ever season playing Division I, the Knights showcase a guard-heavy starting line-up and rotation, featuring 10 guards and only one center. The tallest player in the Bellarmine starting lineup is 6-foot-7, and at 6-foot-10 with 21 pounds of muscle gained over the offseason, Hurt will be able to punish the opposition on the glass and shoot over defenders.

Bellarmine: Guard Dylan Penn

After losing four seniors and notable contributors from last season, Bellarmine will be entering its first season of Division I basketball in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Guard Dylan Penn will look to shoulder the load as the featured scorer and decision-maker. The Evansville, In. native averaged 11.6 points per game last season while also leading the team in assists, field goal percentage and minutes played. Though statistically not a great shooter, Penn is a reliable ball handler and an efficient overall scorer.

Though is it unclear which guards Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will elect to start, Penn will ultimately face stiff defensive pressure, especially from senior guard Jordan Goldwire. The Blue Devils have been able to limit perimeter production going back to last season, which doesn’t necessarily serve useful against a Bellarmine team that doesn’t shoot many threes and instead relies upon efficient scoring. As the primary option, the junior guard must be keyed upon and forced to get rid of the ball early in the shot clock. The Blue Devils must also take care of the basketball to prevent Penn and other Bellarmine guards from pushing the tempo in transition.

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Matthew Hurt will need to establish himself offensively against undersized Bellarmine” on social media.