ESPN top 100 NBA player rankings: Zion surprises at No. 42

Williamson's high placement on the list led to much fist-pumping and fist-shaking.

ESPN rolled out its top 100 NBA player rankings this week and shocked the nation with some bold calls. The Blue Zone examines where each former Blue Devil landed.

ESPN controversially placed former Duke forward Zion Williamson at No. 42 on the famous list—he is the highest-ranked rookie in the nine seasons that ESPN has been making rankings. The list ranks the high-flying rookie above established stars Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan and Kevin Love, drawing the ire of many.

Where do you place a player like Williamson on this list? It’s hard to put him any higher because he has yet to play a single NBA minute and only played eight minutes in preseason. But it’s also difficult to put him any lower because the whole sports world witnessed his complete and utter domination of college basketball last season.

The number one overall pick has already earned massive contracts with the New Orleans Pelicans, Jordan Brand and Gatorade. The hype surrounding Zion continues to grow each day we move closer to the NBA season, and everybody will be watching to see if he will live up to—or even exceed it.  

Celtics small forward Jayson Tatum also cracked the top 40. He landed at No. 35—down 10 spots from last year. After a wonderful start to his career two years ago, the former Blue Devil seemed to slow down a little bit last year. Tatum’s value to the team is unquestionable, but knowing his potential, the third-year star will look to land higher on the list next year.

Kyrie Irving moved up nine spots to lock down No. 11 on the list. As he joins a new team, the Brooklyn Nets, he’ll be partnering with former NBA Champion and Finals MVP Kevin Durant, who may not play at all this season due to a ruptured right Achilles tendon. The two incoming stars—or Irving, at least—will aim to bring home the Nets' first NBA title. Irving has already put the world on notice with his absurd handles and finishing ability. It will be worth following how much higher he can go.

Share and discuss “ESPN top 100 NBA player rankings: Zion surprises at No. 42” on social media.